• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Sunroof

mattp182

CEG'er
Ok so my sunroof will vent but will not retract. It is not the motor because number one i replaced the gear and secondly when trying to crank by hand it simply just wont go back or down, it will not budge at all. So my question is: is there a way to repair this, or am i looking at replacing the whole sunroof assembly?

I had the EXACT same problem for a long time. I tried replacing the motor but it did not help. I finally fixed it just two days ago.

All I did was removed the glass (three screws on each side) and then used some Dura-lube on the tracts and they accidentally popped out so I put them back in. Tried it again... and it works! I put it all back together and its good. It's open as I type this. (=

Hmm this sounds promising, so when it was jammed did it seem to move back at all because mine for sure does not... Also so did you remove the glass from the top of the car with the sunroof vented or inside the car? Also did you see anything wrong with the tracks or were you just tinkering? And how loing did it take you?. I dont have a repair manual so the more specific about anything, the better.

It would not move back at all. It was like it wasn't dropping down so that it could go back. I vented the sunroof so that I could get to the screws and then I took out the glass. Once you have the glass out, you can use the switch and play with it a little bit. Then lube the tracks and run it a few times as to make sure it's worked in. Then reassemble. The trick to reinstalling is to put the screws in while it is vented and then close the sunroof before you tighten them. Have someone stand outside of the car to tell you when the sunroof is flush and hold it there while you tighten the screws. Took me about 20 minutes. Once you see it apart, you will just have to tinker and run the sunroof motor a few times to understand how it works. That's all I did. I hope this is of some help.

Back