• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT 3.0L Dyno Mishap

It was at bristol dyno, sorry about the 184 tq. I was thinking of my probe. The highest was 175 or so. You can't actually post the dyno charts from the site. Tony and I already tried to. I just got a scanner today so I'm gonna upload the graph tomorrow and post it.
Exact numbers from the graph are 150.31 max power and 171.67 max torque. Than on one of the later pulls I hit the 175 or so tq. :shrug: Stay tuned for the actual graph.

It was at bristol dyno, sorry about the 184 tq. I was thinking of my probe. The highest was 175 or so. You can't actually post the dyno charts from the site. Tony and I already tried to. I just got a scanner today so I'm gonna upload the graph tomorrow and post it.
Exact numbers from the graph are 150.31 max power and 171.67 max torque. Than on one of the later pulls I hit the 175 or so tq. :shrug: Stay tuned for the actual graph.

but you can use the software on the site and download your dyno files and plot them, take a screen shot and upload the images to a host and post them ...

but you can use the software on the site and download your dyno files and plot them, take a screen shot and upload the images to a host and post them ...

DING DING DING! (here are dairdevyld's 3L runs)

davesDyno.jpg

has to be something wrong with the secondaries as it fall flat on its face really early for having SVT cams ...

probably because most dyno shops dont even know it. ill look at my books from school when i get home to verify the directions and what not.

Well it looks like a Dyno Jet. As long as its not crocked to one side, being fore or aft of the center point of the rollers is not going to make a measurable difference.

If anything you would want the car on the back part of the roller so that it "grips" better. If the car lost traction or the clutch slipped you would be able to tell in the graph.

Mark

has to be something wrong with the secondaries as it fall flat on its face really early for having SVT cams ...

You can see on the graph where the secondaries open up. I looked at his secondaries like last month, and they opened and closed fine at the right RPM's. The linkage is connected also.

Would be nice to know what the A/F is doing when the hp falls on it's face at about 5k rpm... From the graph it looks like the secondaries are opening I guess.

the first thing I would do would be get rid of those flowmaster mufflers. you ever look inside one of those? i often wonder why they call themselves "flowmaster" when all those baffles and dead ends arent too conducive to flow.

that wouldnt hold him back all that much though. s:shrug: ome people still run stock catback and still putting down good numbers

that wouldnt hold him back all that much though. s:shrug: ome people still run stock catback and still putting down good numbers

understood, i just cringe every time i see those mufflers used. I guess I could be biased, though. Coming from turbo mustang experience, the amount of backpressure from those mufflers kills a turbo car. I've seen turbo 5.0 mustangs pick up 30 wheel hp switching from a flowmaster 40 series to a flow through muffler.

Those are troubling numbers. My Full 3L with OEM air intake, exhaust and no tune put down better number on 87 octane... It was smoother too - don't ask about the low octane, I accidently put it in..

Well it looks like a Dyno Jet. As long as its not crocked to one side, being fore or aft of the center point of the rollers is not going to make a measurable difference.

If anything you would want the car on the back part of the roller so that it "grips" better. If the car lost traction or the clutch slipped you would be able to tell in the graph.

Mark
Ok i just got an email back from DynoJet and he confirms what you said is correct. I am positive that UTI told us what i said so i guess they were just full of :censored::censored::censored::censored: :shrug:

the first thing I would do would be get rid of those flowmaster mufflers. you ever look inside one of those? i often wonder why they call themselves "flowmaster" when all those baffles and dead ends arent too conducive to flow.

I don't have flowmaster mufflers. It's straight pipes back from the cat. No mufflers at all:crazy: .

op..you had a probe gt that had 184wtq???

Nope I actually had a probe gt with 196 ft/lbs of torque. :laugh: It was an 89 GT turbo. In my personal opinion one of the best fwd cars Ford has ever built. I loved that little 2.2l Turbo. Far less problems than this 3.0L V6.

Thanks chris for getting the dyno pics up for me. I'm pretty sure the secondaries are opening up. If you look at my earlier dyno plots before the swap, the numbers are slightly higher but if you look closely the plots seem to be the same. The person doing the pulls on the dyno was saying how it felt like the car was pulling power or just like it was a flat spot. He said he thought it made sense that the cat would be clogged. He said the first run he ever made with the car was perfect and those are my best numbers. Halfway through the second run with the 2.5 he said it just felt really flat. I do notice that I don't feel power in the higher RPMs like I used to when I first bought the car. It just doesn't feel like it's pulling unless I'm under 3800. However I do feel the secondaries opening and like CSVT1214 said, when we checked them out they appeared to be opening. Plus during the swap I'm sure Aircougar would've noticed if something was wrong with them.

I'll be getting back on the dyno next Saturday so hopefully I can get some better numbers with the high flow cat, but even if I do I'm definitely going to get a/f done so that may give me some clues into whats going on.

Last edited:
must have been stock numbers on that f2t. my 91 put down 189whp and 277wtq on 15psi:laugh:
off topic though.:cool:

I

Nope I actually had a probe gt with 196 ft/lbs of torque. :laugh: It was an 89 GT turbo. In my personal opinion one of the best fwd cars Ford has ever built. I loved that little 2.2l Turbo. Far less problems than this 3.0L V6.

thats becuase its a mazda engine and tranny:laugh:
they were rated at 145hp 190tq. coincidentaly thats what they put down at the wheels too:laugh:

Back