• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

suspension questions

JOERUSSIA

CEG'er
Hey I have a 1998 ford contour 4 cyl non svt, Im looking for some springs. I was wondering if there was any difference in the svt versions over the non svt versions? If there are what are they and if not would it be possible to put svt versions into my car.

This is of much debate.some say there is no difference, while some say the spring rate/ride hight are different. If your gonna spend the money, get eibachs or something.

the front springs are going to have to be different because of the different weight of the motors. and if you get performance springs, non OEM, get the ones for the 4-cyl so that the front isn't too springy.

There is nothing to debate, the SVT springs and struts have different part numbers. The struts had slightly different valving, the springs have a different rate and a small drop. You also can't get the SVT components as they have been long discontinued.

He's right, make sure you get 4cyl springs. You should look into getting aftermarket struts along with any lowering spring as the OEM components are not designed with lowering in mind and will cause increased wear on the struts. Your best option would be a Koni sport kit. Also it is possible to install the SVT components on your car, you probably wouldn't like the results though. The SVT has 100 extra pounds on the front springs so the front end will not drop like the rear.

Hey guys thanks for the information. I have been looking for some springs or coilovers or shocks or struts or strut bars or anything for the 4 cyl but all i have found was all for the v6 and svt. If you guys have any opinions on what to get i would love to hear them.

If you are getting lowering springs it won't make as much of a difference. With the OEM replacement stuff, V6 springs will make your car seem to ride rather high in the front. I suggest any springs BESIDES Eibach if you have a 4cyl. Reason being is the Eibachs sorta sag in the rear, and that sagging may be exaggerated a bit with the slight difference in weight distribution of a 4cyl car vs. the V6. I think your best bet is H&R springs.

Do you guys know where i can order strut tower bars for a 4cyl? Also what shocks should I combine with H&R springs?

the strut tower bars are the same for all Contours, whether its a 4cyl or an SVT. same thing goes for the rear sway bar (at least for aftermarket options). at this point in time, all of the struts are the same as well (as long as you stay in the correct year range for the fronts, 95-97 and 98-00, the rears are all the same).

Now that I have that some what cleared up, my next question is what would be a good set up for coilovers and struts? What i want to put in is shocks springs strut bar front and rear and links if i need to change them if i dont then i will leave them. What would your set up be?

Question!!!!

Question!!!!

Has anybody ever tried to put performance springs from another car on to a contour? let alone switched out the whole shock and spring assembly?!

I think by all technicality, the OMP strut bar was designed for the 4cyl, as it doesn't fit too great in the engine bay of the V6 (but it DOES fit), but seems to fit great in the 4cyl engine bay.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a reasonably-priced shock/spring assembly even from a different car that'd fit the Contour. Your best best is BAT/Koni/H&R, IMO.

man i offically hate koni. before you order anything call whoever sells them and make sure they are available. they order anything as needed from the koni warehouses and doesnt nessecarily mean they are in stock.

i didnt see those coilovers on their application list, for the svt anyway but i was looking for the koni sport kit, yellows with their sport springs a little less than the price listed for the link you posted and they were initally backordered a month and i waited and then became backordered for a second month.

for the few dollars more the price is tempting but im not sure coilovers are the way to go on a street car.

the yellows fyi have adjustable rebound paired with stock springs is great because their firm and you still have ground clearance. but then again they are not available currently.

oh yeah. to follow up i went with bat struts again. ive had several sets and theyre pretty solid. the price is pretty reasonable. you get nonsense brand struts for like 80 ish a piece from the store so for 20 bucks more a strut you get a sporty one. i have the lowering kit on one car and its great if you can manage not tearing the bumper off. its supposed to be a 1.5 inch drop all around give or take but it may be more. definately awesome handling and everything but thats why i had a second car with firm struts and stock ride height.

i didnt see those coilovers on their application list, for the svt anyway but i was looking for the koni sport kit, yellows with their sport springs a little less than the price listed for the link you posted and they were initally backordered a month and i waited and then became backordered for a second month.

The coilovers posted above are Ksports, not Konis. as far as the sport kit goes, it will not be coming off backorder because Koni decided to discontinue the springs. this means you can no longer buy just the springs OR the sport kit. the only things you can buy now are the individual struts.

Back