• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Suspension clunk/click

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
So last weekend I finished my suspension upgrade (ES bushings on rear sway and trailing control arm, rear sway bar links, koni spring, kyb struts, passerager lca ball joint).

I've noticed I'm getting a clunk/click doing right hand turns. So tonight on visual inspection I see there is grease on the passenger tie rod end. Its all around the top. Would this be the source of clunk? The noise is based on mph and not rpm(ie letting off gas and rpm drop does not change noise).

I just had the whole suspension apart and did not notice any play in the wheel bearings, and believe the noise and visual grease stain would indicate the tie rod.

TIA for any advice.

Also how safe is it to drive with a tie rod in this condition?

gee you really have me at a loss on this one.

I going to assume that its still safe to drive around town [for the short term] if you go easy on her.

I dunno, my car has been a true lemon when it comes to suspension components. everything has been replaced multiple times and nothing has ever prevented the car from being safely [yet gently] drivable.

[I mean right now, my outer tie rod is physically welded to the knuckle. I mean not a long term solution but it will get me through the month for my gruelling 30 mile per week commute]

Last edited:
It is very drivable! haha I just hear a clunk in right turns. I believe it is the tie rod because the top of boot is "popped" It seems like the whole top of the boot let loose and the grease is coming out of the outer tie rod. If this is not the source of my clunk then I have two problems. :blackeye: I need to get a rider and let them hang out the window and listen because I can't pin point the noise while pulling through turns.

Sounds like your spring(s) might not be fully set on the struts. This happened on both of my front ones, even with all new stuff above the springs (bumpstops, sleeves, bearings, mounts, except for the metal upper spring mount).

My drivers side was much worse, and I think it's because the nut came loose. The lock washer looked more like a c clip that a washer.

So here's the update.

The best I can tell is that my gap on the strut tower of the passenger side maybe causing the noise. I did not use the short, low pro nut. I believe this is the source of my noise. not 100%, but its a good possibility.

Back