• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Supercharged Contour

Someone on the boards or used to be on the boards would take the jackshafts and do the modifications, better than Vortech. I should have done this years ago, but I don't drive the SVT much now so I am hoping it will last for the next 100 years. :D

I wish it had more low end, but I am guessing that because they used such a small supercharger (for packaging reasons), it doesn't move enough air at low rpms to produce "Mustang" like low end power. The other thing is the boost level, 9.5psi max on my boost gauge, lower now with the aftercooler (Buckshot) at some 7.5 to 8psi. Vortech most likely kept the boost under 10psi as not to blow up the Duratecs. :shocked: (or because of their computer chip tunes at the time).

Frankly, I would think that because there is a blow off/bypass valve in the set up, we could run smaller pullies (but not to overdrive the supercharger past its efficiency) to bring on the boost sooner and use a boost controller to limit the maximum boost to a safe level.

Even though I don't drive my SVT much, it's still fun to play with. Another thought. I could get an adjustable Turbosmart Bypass valve with built in adjustable boost level and try that. :laugh: The Vortech kits use the same basicBosch bypass valve as with VW 1.8T's. ;)

FYI the V9 is not a small supercharger. They use that same supercharger head unit on the Camero kits. It flows much more than will ever be needed on the Cougar. For more low end get a 3L installed. :)

Someone on the boards or used to be on the boards would take the jackshafts and do the modifications, better than Vortech. I should have done this years ago, but I don't drive the SVT much now so I am hoping it will last for the next 100 years. :D

knukoncepts or whoever?

There's definitely a lot more potential to the vortech kit than most people have tapped. Honestly, I don't see why a SC'd SVT couldn't break 400 WHP with a 3L and supporting mods. I'm still playing around with mine and will definitely continue shooting for that goal. Considering I've all ready dynoed (accurately) over 350, I don't think it's out of the running. I guess we'll hope to see come SZ 08.

In regards to 1/4 mile, everyone is spot on regarding the SC on a 2.5. It is a different beast with mods and a 3L for sure, but still not torquey by any means. The turbo will get you down the 1/4 a lot faster, but I'd go for the SC on a highway or open track any day. The trick is usable horsepower. I seem to remember Stazi consistently spinning his wheels through the slower sections of the auto-x at SZ 05, yet I consistently beat him by over a second.

Rick

In regards to 1/4 mile, everyone is spot on regarding the SC on a 2.5. It is a different beast with mods and a 3L for sure, but still not torquey by any means. The turbo will get you down the 1/4 a lot faster, but I'd go for the SC on a highway or open track any day. The trick is usable horsepower. I seem to remember Stazi consistently spinning his wheels through the slower sections of the auto-x at SZ 05, yet I consistently beat him by over a second.

Rick

honestly that is why if I ever go FI with my car, I would want a supercharger. I want to be able to get traction in the lower end.

not to hijack, but the main "pro" of a super charger is always argued as "useable" power (ie. traction at lower end)..

I can FIX traction issues (well. not ME.. I'm not rich.. but it can be fixed).. can a supercharger be "fixed" to have the powerband a Turbo gives? If traction problems are negated, then what?

/threadjack

sorry!

not to hijack, but the main "pro" of a super charger is always argued as "useable" power (ie. traction at lower end)..

I can FIX traction issues (well. not ME.. I'm not rich.. but it can be fixed).. can a supercharger be "fixed" to have the powerband a Turbo gives? If traction problems are negated, then what?

/threadjack

sorry!

Ray, it's a moot point. The cost of fixing traction far outweighs the benefit on this platform. For arguments sake only, all things being equal, there are still two different power applications being talked about here. Both achieve a certain goal. The turbo is great for short fat power bands that get you moving quickly, but the supercharger has a feel of constant linear acceleration that increases with the RPM's.

While I love being hammered back into the seat as much as the next guy by raw torque, I still prefer the feeling of slowly being pressed harder and harder into my seat like a jet taking off.

Rick

Ray, it's a moot point. The cost of fixing traction far outweighs the benefit on this platform. For arguments sake only, all things being equal, there are still two different power applications being talked about here. Both achieve a certain goal. The turbo is great for short fat power bands that get you moving quickly, but the supercharger has a feel of constant linear acceleration that increases with the RPM's.

While I love being hammered back into the seat as much as the next guy by raw torque, I still prefer the feeling of slowly being pressed harder and harder into my seat like a jet taking off.

Rick

Rick, It is really only a matter of about a $400-$500 boost controller, quite cheap when you think of it.
It can be programmed to give lower boost in lower gears and rpm, then progressively increase the boost as rpm and gear increase. Effectively making it like the supercharger in 1st, 2nd gear but like a turbo in 3rd+ gears. :laugh:

Rick, It is really only a matter of about a $400-$500 boost controller, quite cheap when you think of it.
It can be programmed to give lower boost in lower gears and rpm, then progressively increase the boost as rpm and gear increase. Effectively making it like the supercharger in 1st, 2nd gear but like a turbo in 3rd+ gears. :laugh:

That is what I did in my SRT-4, Turbosmart Eboost 2, staged boosting. I like the way both feel, supercharger for highway runs (SVT), turbo for stoplight to stoplight runs (SRT-4)

Back