• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Summer Go Karting meet anyone?

CRG Racer24

Hard-core CEG'er
So racing season is in full swing, and since our last meet totally failed I figure this idea should have a little incentive to get together. So who wants to lose to me? I suggest Grand Prix Kartways: http://www.gpkartways.com/.

I think this is a little more central area for anyone coming from the east end, and the dudes from the west end, me included, can set up a little cruise up there. Also, their karts kick ass. They're electric, so they have a massive amount of torque right from the get-go. Even for me who's used to 160 km/h go karts, these still get up and go.. especially with the course lay-out.

Maybe this time we can actually meet up.. put faces to names, see each other's cars, and lose to me in go karting! Let's not fail at a meet again!

I'm not sure when it'll be, but let's just see if anyone/enough people are interested.

Where: 75 Carl Hall Road
Bay 3, Unit #9
Parc Downsview Park
Toronto, ON
Canada M3K 2B9

When: Not sure yet. Let's decide for weekend or weekday first.

Nice. Since it's summer, I'm done school so I can go whenever. When is everyone more busy, weekends or weekdays? Weekdays are usually cheaper there too. Also, since I'm a member there I get email discounts and stuff, so I'll keep my eye out.

Also, if anyone is on NECO, can someone see if there would be any interest and maybe link this over there? That way we can try to get more people to make this happen.

I agree. Considering there are no dates mentioned or anything. Its pretty open. As well, considering the interested posted about the last meet.. I guess it will be a small meet and greet, but hey, still fun no doubt.

Mike

Hmm.. that's a long drive for me. If CRGkart would go and some other people to make it worth the 4 and a half hour drive (not including border traffic :nonono:) I might just go....... The things I'd do to race karts again :(. I also love that you can rent out 125cc karts. I actually think some of the tracks around here do aswell.. though I've never asked or anything when I was racing. I didn't need to lol.

I do atleast wanna get a meet going for some local CEG'ers though.

Hmm.. that's a long drive for me. If CRGkart would go and some other people to make it worth the 4 and a half hour drive (not including border traffic :nonono:) I might just go....... The things I'd do to race karts again :(. I also love that you can rent out 125cc karts. I actually think some of the tracks around here do aswell.. though I've never asked or anything when I was racing. I didn't need to lol.

I left a link to this thread in his Visitor Messages

Cool. Yeah if you could get a decent amount of people, I think I would make the trip down.

Jeez, I haven't raced a more "pro" 125cc kart in 2 years.. and I'm only 17 lol. I wonder how good I still am in one...

Sorry man, im done with karts. Actually sold the CRG a few weeks ago. I def miss it but i can no longer support the WKA. Its too corrupt and all about money. I wasnt in karts to spend a •••• load of cash.. i was hoping to start a career in racing. Unfortunately, karting is just not the best way to do this anymore. On top of other things specifically at that local track. I will also not support the track and management there. The numerous physical confrontations u had with other racers is just uncalled for and very disrespectful in such a small community. I will recommend NOT going this track.

However, i might be able to work something out at Batavia(too hard to find the website last i looked, so im not goign to try). If we get enough people I can probably arrange a private day on the track, but it would come with a price. Im not sure if they have rentals, but i dont see why not. They do however allow cars on the track for time trials, which would be fun as hell. Its a really fun place to drive. Lots of elevation and some sweet banked turns. For all i know, the place isnt in business anymore.. but ill do some searching and see what i can do.

Sorry man, im done with karts. Actually sold the CRG a few weeks ago. I def miss it but i can no longer support the WKA. Its too corrupt and all about money. I wasnt in karts to spend a •••• load of cash.. i was hoping to start a career in racing. Unfortunately, karting is just not the best way to do this anymore. On top of other things specifically at that local track. I will also not support the track and management there. The numerous physical confrontations u had with other racers is just uncalled for and very disrespectful in such a small community. I will recommend NOT going this track.

However, i might be able to work something out at Batavia(too hard to find the website last i looked, so im not goign to try). If we get enough people I can probably arrange a private day on the track, but it would come with a price. Im not sure if they have rentals, but i dont see why not. They do however allow cars on the track for time trials, which would be fun as hell. Its a really fun place to drive. Lots of elevation and some sweet banked turns. For all i know, the place isnt in business anymore.. but ill do some searching and see what i can do.
I knew you had some issues there but I had a good time

Avtually, it was much easier than last time i was at the site..

http://www.bataviakarting.com/ let me know how far it is for you guys and i can see what I can do for a private day of karts. I know i said cars before, but at a quick glance at the website, it doesnt look like they do that anymore. But im extremely tired and i could be missing it. If this is a do-able place and anyone is interested in cars and/or karts i might be able to pull some strings depending on if its been sold or not.

Batavia is much closer than Cherry Valley place. probably only a couple of hours for me. I actually drove through there on my way to Watkins Glen for the Grand-Am racing.

And CRGkart I know exactly what you're talking about. The former owner up at my track was just horrible. No one liked him, even a pro race car driver I talked to (he raced in Grand-Am, Porsche Cup and some open wheel things.. met him while go karting at the place I wanna meet up for local people) knew about him and said he was a complete jack ass. I got into karting to start my racing career. I'm young (17) but I started when I was 14 which in karting standards is WAY too late if you wanna have a career in open wheel or anything. I did win the championship and rookie of the year in my first year of karting though :D.

I do like the sound of going to Batavia rather than the other place though. Now it's time to check the site out.

Edit: WOW, that is almost the exact same layout as the go karting track I raced at before. Weird. What kind of motor's do they use? Looks like just a Honda or something.

Well.. the owner is a nice guy at Cherry Valley as was the race director. However, they didnt want to get into anything in fear of losing a customer and pissing people off. haha. So basically, there were no rules, barely had to make weight. Sometimes the scales wernt even out. I know for a fact, the guy who had the biggest problem with me(even tho i would help him out and got him more than 2 seconds a lap faster) was 20-30 lbs under weight. Bull••••. blah blah balh.. I believe i also started at 14 or 13. I agree, it is very late, but if you put enough effort into it, you can be running top 5 in the nationals. One of my good friends/ teammate started fairly late. He was his first national his 3rd year racing in the Yamaha Jr. Supercan. MAYBE it was Jr. HPV. dont remember.

Not sure what motor they use. Last time i was there a few years ago, it was primarily 4-cycle. Thats why we didnt go there often. Unless we wanted a complete day for testing and tuning since there was hardly anyone there. So, im going to assume they are Briggs 4-cycle. But i could be wrong. Im not too sure about Canada, but the US has really cut down on the 2 stroke motors because of the pollution nonsense. Most of the tracks around here are running mostly 4 stroke with a few 2s. I remember when i started it was the exact opposite.

Anyways, if we get some interest in at this track, ill try to get a private day. If we cant get more than a few people, i suppose we can just go on one of the rental days that they have one the schedule. But with the private day, like i said, we may be able to take our cars out for a bit of fun. And the private i would imagine would be fairly expensive, thats why we would need a few people to split up the bill

im out, starting a new job soon and going to be working like a madman to build my csvt for next year, sorry guys

Well.. the owner is a nice guy at Cherry Valley as was the race director. However, they didnt want to get into anything in fear of losing a customer and pissing people off. haha. So basically, there were no rules, barely had to make weight. Sometimes the scales wernt even out. I know for a fact, the guy who had the biggest problem with me(even tho i would help him out and got him more than 2 seconds a lap faster) was 20-30 lbs under weight. Bull••••. blah blah balh.. I believe i also started at 14 or 13. I agree, it is very late, but if you put enough effort into it, you can be running top 5 in the nationals. One of my good friends/ teammate started fairly late. He was his first national his 3rd year racing in the Yamaha Jr. Supercan. MAYBE it was Jr. HPV. dont remember.

Not sure what motor they use. Last time i was there a few years ago, it was primarily 4-cycle. Thats why we didnt go there often. Unless we wanted a complete day for testing and tuning since there was hardly anyone there. So, im going to assume they are Briggs 4-cycle. But i could be wrong. Im not too sure about Canada, but the US has really cut down on the 2 stroke motors because of the pollution nonsense. Most of the tracks around here are running mostly 4 stroke with a few 2s. I remember when i started it was the exact opposite.

Yeah the owner of my track was just a shady/sketchy dude and a prick. He was involved in some shady things and was a douche. He no longer is the owner. At my track there was no anarchy or anything.. it was one of the more popukar tracks but no one liked the owner. Well, if you bought you're way onto the team and were favourited, then maybe you liked him :nonono:. I only raced for 2 years, and like I said I won the championship in my first year and got a scholarship to be on the "National Team" in an air-cooled 2 stroke Maxter 125cc (started off in a 4 stroke Honda) and then IMO, I was totally ignored until I switched classes to SR. half way through the year and then I got more attention in the last 3-4 races. I actually got a mechanic to help set me up (cool guy) and was starting to finish way better. I already had a wicked setup (so much grip that I lifted 2 wheels in one of the sweepers.. wicked weight jacking effect lol) but he refined it a little. Also my driving style just got better as the year went on. Also, the "National Team" that I was on was more of a regional team. I did races across Ontario, but the National races didn't have a class for my karts. Rotax is the big thing up here.

I loved that track. Especially the concession track that was integrated into the regular track. That part of the track was what made the track fun. In the map in the link, you can see where we run by the dark racing line. We don't use the loopty stuff in the middle on the concession stuff to the left. The lower, furthest corner on the left side of track, beside the paintball stuff, was by far the hardest, fastest, most physically demanding corner I've done. I had to guess it's a 70-75 mph turn, at full throttle. Coming out of the corner you're pushing it right to the tire barrier that blocks off the grid for the concession go karts. You basically turned in and held on cause it was fast and awesome. In the rain was even more scary, but that's where I gained alot on people, aswell as some other coners.

Also, I don't mean to brag, but I was a little Jacky Ickx/Ayrton Senna in the rain. I was fastest in the rain at my track. One time, the weather was ••••. For practice, qualifying and the pre-final it was wet and I was fastest for all 3. Qualified 1st and Finished 1st in the pre-final. Then the weather instantly cleared up after our race. I checked the radar and it said another cell was on the way. I stayed on wets because I thought it was gonna rain. Well it didn't and I got screwed for the final. That was my most heartbreaking but fun weekend. Mosport is also a sick track. Not the Car track, but the go karting track there.. also not the DDT. That had HUGE elevation changes and wicked banked/blind turns. That was THE funnest track I've ever done.

Oh and when I was racing, 2 strokes still had the edge over 4 strokes. There were a lot of 4 strokes at the regional races, most likely due to the cost. My track was exclusively 2 strokes.

How fast did your karts go? Mine were clocked at 100 mph down our front straight, which was shorter than the back straight. It was posted on a website that had the timing and scoring for the event. Oh and here is my former track. You'll see the left part of the track looks almost exactly like Batavia's track: http://www.raceforcanada.com/

Jeez.. I'll stop my nostalgia for now... Haha! All this talk of go-karts just got all that rushed back lol. I understand if no one reads it haha.

im out, starting a new job soon and going to be working like a madman to build my csvt for next year, sorry guys

Not even for grandprix kartways?? Come on dude, let me show you how good I am lol.

Back