• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Subframe Connector/Coilover Installation

98SVTC

Hard-core CEG'er
In a few months I'll be installing my new D2 suspension. I haven't installed the subframe connectors yet that I got a while back and wanted to use them as a place to hold the vehicle up on jack stands while doing the D2 installation. I've read on another site that it is better to do the suspension first and then the connectors in case the suspension is worn in such a way that the car isn't sitting at an even height all the way around. This other site wasn't for four wheel independent suspension vehicles so I'm wondering if it's a moot point for our cars or something I should consider. My car is pretty much sitting level as far as I can tell. Anyone have an opinion on this matter?
Thanks,
Karl

the easiest thing (and probably the best thing to do) is have the car placed on a roll on lift while welding the subframe conectors on. This forces the suspension and the body to sit at a natural and mostly level stance. Even if your old suspension is somewhat off the coilovers' adjustablility will overcome any minor issue.

personally, I think your more likely to mess up the evenness of your ride height if you install the D2's first... I think your more likely to keep the car "even" with stock non-adjustable struts even if they are very worn than you are attempting to calibrate each corner with the D2's.

I had my subframe connectors installed before I put on my D2's.

Where can you get subframe connectors at? I think shoshop used to sell them. But we all know that they are no longer in exsistance. I tried a search but I came up with nothing. Also do you think you could send me a pic of what they look before and after installed? If I can't get something maybe I can make my own set.

Where can you get subframe connectors at? I think shoshop used to sell them. But we all know that they are no longer in exsistance. I tried a search but I came up with nothing. Also do you think you could send me a pic of what they look before and after installed? If I can't get something maybe I can make my own set.

Ill sell you a set.

Connector/coilover Installation

Connector/coilover Installation

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll do the connectors first and then the D2's.
Karl

Back