• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stupid mechanic

kcobra

Veteran CEG'er
I took my car to a mechanic my father has known for 17 years and I show up at the shop about 4.5 hours into the procedure and I noticed the idiot cut holes in my frame rail to loosen the bolts holding in the engine cradle. I am posting this here cause I know so many of you know a lot about our cars. I am looking for advice on what to do. and I am most concerned about structural integrity. As this is the car my wife drives with my 19 month old son.

Attachments

• frame1.JPG
    frame1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • frame2.JPG
    frame2.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
why did he have to cut the holes? does the cradle blot to weldnuts that are not accessable (if they break loose) without doing this? If he welds the plates back up I would not worry about that part...but why did he do this in the first place is what concerns me

he told me he did it so he could heat the whole area up with a torch. i am worried he weakend the area by heating it up with a oxy/acetalne torch. i am concerned because my moms 97 cirrus said not to dills or cut holes in that area of the unitbody as well as the shock towers.. my dad goes by the shop on his way to work in the morning and is gonna stop and ask WTF

Last edited:
I had an issue like this on a contour once. The subframe bolt was spinning freely and to remedy the situation we welded the bolt back into place.
To be honest I wouldn't worry about it too much, I doubt it is going to effect the structural rigidity too much. I would still be like wtf...:nonono:

I had an issue like this on a contour once. The subframe bolt was spinning freely and to remedy the situation we welded the bolt back into place.
To be honest I wouldn't worry about it too much, I doubt it is going to effect the structural rigidity too much. I would still be like wtf...:nonono:

WE? I DID!

Your bird poop welds would have never held up.

110VAC MIG Welder w/ no gas > Pete.

-Tim :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho View Post
To be honest I wouldn't worry about it too much, I doubt it is going to effect the structural rigidity too much. I would still be like wtf...

WE? I DID!

Your bird poop welds would have never held up.

110VAC MIG Welder w/ no gas > Pete.

-Tim :cool:

Hey! That car sounds familiar! Too many complications on that job... made me want to murder the exhaust guys too (which I believe was Dougs)! :nono:

And to you George... definently have the mechanics weld plates on both sides! That sure is a hack job though.

Reebs

Last edited:
You're supposed to cut holes in the flooring above the nut with a hole saw. What he did wasn't a big deal. That area is very thick and he didn't cut a lot. I'd worry about oxidation in the future in that area though. Make sure the holes are sealed with a piece of steel.

Back