• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock Mini Cooper S dyno results

Id drive one.. To bad the Dash is ugly as hell..

Honestly, i sat in one the other day and it made me so mad, WHY IS THE SPEEDO SO BIG?? and why is it in the center.. just stupid.

Dash-md.jpg

I don't like your criticism. It looks good. It's very well thought out and NOT stupid...
lol

I thought I'd share my latest information regarding the turbo in the R56 MCS [model year 2007+] The turbo is a Borg Warner K03, which has a maximum flow rate of 22.4 lb/min of air, which is good for up to 200 HP. This matches very well with the stock configuration of the MINI's 1.6L and 172 HP. Coupled with the aggressive 10.5:1 static compression ratio and direct injection fueling, the K03 is able to spool quickly and provide an excellent torque shelf across most of the engine's RPM band.

At the upper RPM's, the ECU opens the wastegate more and tapers the boost level to maintain about 170 HP from 5000 RPM to 6500 RPM. What that boost goes to and from is still unclear [until it's properly datalogged], however what is more prevalent is the combination of the ultra high compression ratio, DI, and the boost level in which the K03 achieves its max flow rate. To put it simply, the stock engine/turbo configuration on the R56 MCS will not be able to support over 200 HP not only due to the limitation of the turbo itself, but also a large risk of piston damage from detonation. Since I suspect the ECU is at least as good at avoiding knock as the R53's excellent system, the R56 MCS will reach a proverbial glass ceiling of power. My initial calculations show that about 16 pounds of boost will be all the stock engine will handle with the stock turbo. This 16psig ceiling is due to the high compression ratio in conjunction with the direct injection. However, this also means that a larger, more efficient turbo pressurizing the engine at 16 pounds of boost will make more power.

To get over 200 HP, there is really only one option:

*A turbo swap to something that flows more air more efficiently at the same or lower boost levels [similar to what I discovered on my MM2 Turbo Project going from supercharger to mis-matched turbo, mis-matched turbo to well-matched turbo [very low efficiency to good efficiency to very good efficiency]. A comparable Garrett model to the Borg Warner K03 is the Garrett GT2052, a very tiny turbo, about 3 families down the scale from the unit I installed in MM2. The K03 is the same type of turbo used in VW's old and famous 1.8T engine, used in Mk4 GTI's. It's a respectable piece, with excellent spool characteristics, it's just that it can't make a ton of power. My initial instinct is to call for either the Garrett GT2554R or GT2560R. Both of these turbo's will get the R56 MCS engine into the 230 and 260 HP range respectively while keeping under 16 pounds of boost.

To get over 260 HP, there is yet again only one option:

*new pistons with lower compression! Lowering the compression allows much greater boost to be run [thus making much more power] while maintaining that we use "only" 93 octane pump gas, which is the only acceptable solution for most of us. Obviously, having new low-compression pistons implemented will be timely and expensive, as the engine block should come out and the whole rotating assembly balanced. A reasonable expectation for "low-compression" R56 MCS pistons could be somewhere around 9.0:1. This would allow us to run up to 22 pounds of boost [Big power = 350 HP+!] while only sacrificing a bit of the R56's newfound fantastic fuel economy. Of course, all this is assuming the R56's fuel system are up to the job, and we can hack into the ECU system and control or at least manipulate it to our needs.

Fun times ahead!
Cheers,
Ryan

Sounds extremely similar to the Volvo S40 issue. The stock turbo is a borg warner KO4 on a 2.5L and all of the above comments can be applied to it minus the direct injection and turbo size.

Mainly, just changing to a more efficient turbo can net serious power without too much sacrifice in spool.
I dunno, by this weekend the first aftermarket Garret turbo on an '05 S40 will be running.... :cool: and then I'll let you know if it works good or not.

For stock.....for a car only rated at 174 at the crank....those are some AWESOME numbers. Car only weighs in at 2660 lbs......:drool:

Honestly, i sat in one the other day and it made me so mad, WHY IS THE SPEEDO SO BIG?? and why is it in the center.. just stupid.
Seriously? The only gauge you really need is a tach; and the MCS has it right under your line of sight. Everything else is just for the passengers to 'ooh' and 'ahh' over. :rolleyes:

Seriously? The only gauge you really need is a tach; and the MCS has it right under your line of sight. Everything else is just for the passengers to 'ooh' and 'ahh' over. :rolleyes:

Its just personal opinion, I love mini's they are pretty cool and are really good around a track. The quality is also top notch (something i noticed when i got in it)

Just cant stand a HUGE guage in the middle of my dash.. Just odd.

Unimpressive numbers for the money you need to shell out for a Cooper S.

You'll regret this car purchase...mark my words.

Remember when he got that Crossfire? That thing was the coolest thing evar.

It is a fun car that not everyone will have. It is overpriced but they hold value at least. It's much better than a Crossfire. I would picture Rog as a guy with a nice old muscle car with a beater for the winter.

I think he enjoyed his crossfire and I think he may enjoy this car even more. Though of course he could end up regretting it especially considering the cost leasing a car, a sorta expensive car at that. But it's what he wants to do and I'm sure the car is fun, so it'll be alright. In another 3 years he can get a mustang or some old buick if he wants.

Responsibilities and budget play a big part for most people. The Mini is a fun car that he can afford.

Why rag on him for that?:shrug:

Klasse Act said:
I thought I'd share my latest information regarding the turbo in the R56 MCS [model year 2007+] The turbo is a Borg Warner K03, which has a maximum flow rate of 22.4 lb/min of air, which is good for up to 200 HP. This matches very well with the stock configuration of the MINI's 1.6L and 172 HP. Coupled with the aggressive 10.5:1 static compression ratio and direct injection fueling, the K03 is able to spool quickly and provide an excellent torque shelf across most of the engine's RPM band.

At the upper RPM's, the ECU opens the wastegate more and tapers the boost level to maintain about 170 HP from 5000 RPM to 6500 RPM. What that boost goes to and from is still unclear [until it's properly datalogged], however what is more prevalent is the combination of the ultra high compression ratio, DI, and the boost level in which the K03 achieves its max flow rate. To put it simply, the stock engine/turbo configuration on the R56 MCS will not be able to support over 200 HP not only due to the limitation of the turbo itself, but also a large risk of piston damage from detonation. Since I suspect the ECU is at least as good at avoiding knock as the R53's excellent system, the R56 MCS will reach a proverbial glass ceiling of power. My initial calculations show that about 16 pounds of boost will be all the stock engine will handle with the stock turbo. This 16psig ceiling is due to the high compression ratio in conjunction with the direct injection. However, this also means that a larger, more efficient turbo pressurizing the engine at 16 pounds of boost will make more power.

To get over 200 HP, there is really only one option:

*A turbo swap to something that flows more air more efficiently at the same or lower boost levels [similar to what I discovered on my MM2 Turbo Project going from supercharger to mis-matched turbo, mis-matched turbo to well-matched turbo [very low efficiency to good efficiency to very good efficiency]. A comparable Garrett model to the Borg Warner K03 is the Garrett GT2052, a very tiny turbo, about 3 families down the scale from the unit I installed in MM2. The K03 is the same type of turbo used in VW's old and famous 1.8T engine, used in Mk4 GTI's. It's a respectable piece, with excellent spool characteristics, it's just that it can't make a ton of power. My initial instinct is to call for either the Garrett GT2554R or GT2560R. Both of these turbo's will get the R56 MCS engine into the 230 and 260 HP range respectively while keeping under 16 pounds of boost.

To get over 260 HP, there is yet again only one option:

*new pistons with lower compression! Lowering the compression allows much greater boost to be run [thus making much more power] while maintaining that we use "only" 93 octane pump gas, which is the only acceptable solution for most of us. Obviously, having new low-compression pistons implemented will be timely and expensive, as the engine block should come out and the whole rotating assembly balanced. A reasonable expectation for "low-compression" R56 MCS pistons could be somewhere around 9.0:1. This would allow us to run up to 22 pounds of boost [Big power = 350 HP+!] while only sacrificing a bit of the R56's newfound fantastic fuel economy. Of course, all this is assuming the R56's fuel system are up to the job, and we can hack into the ECU system and control or at least manipulate it to our needs.

Fun times ahead!
Cheers,
Ryan

Yeah I had read about this in a couple of other publications. Thats a shame, I mean if I bought a direct injection turbo charged car, i would like it to get a lot out of the motor. I mean some of the stuff theyve been doing with the 2.0T VW engine, and everything. But hey, I guess its pretty expensive to get anything out of our cars too.

Remember when he got that Crossfire? That thing was the coolest thing evar.

Jason, I never said it was the coolest thing ever:rolleyes: but have you ever driven one, honestly? I know you and other don't like it but the car is rock solid everywhere. Please don't make me defend the car I don't have anymore...wait, I don't mind that at all:shrug: It did EVERYTHING I asked of it and it gave ZERO problems, huh, imagine that:rolleyes: BTW, nice "gravy-training" onto Stazi's post, classic!

Stazi, your points are well taken, but considering this car was on my list 2 years ago, I will not regret it one bit, especially since this car is basically new and improved over the previous gen MCS. Yes I wanted the Mustang, that didn't work out and I wasn't going to stand for the BS they were putting me through either, screw them:mad: Sure I'd love to have that car right now but for some reason it wasn't mean't to be. I've been around car shows, cruizes for the better part of 19 years now and I think the arrogance of alot of Stang owners (not you Dave) is part of the reason why I think. It was always the Stang vs. Camaro, cocky, very cocky.

Elradio:troutslap: :laugh: Don't you have a nailhead to pull? Wait, pull it out, put it up on Ebay and get yourself a real Buick engine, one with real valves that actually do something like flow. 455>401 everyday and especially on Sundays. Now go out and get it done and BTW, upgrade to a 4spd and 3.73's while your at too.

Todd, I can see you and others thinking of me as a guy with a muscle car because that's where my roots were and I will never forget that BUT, having been down that road in the past and now for the past 7 years owning several cars that do a little bit of everything instead of going fast in 1320 feet, I'll stick with the modern car, the modern SCC that is! A car that you can drive everyday, anywhere that brakes, steers AND accelerates is alot better than one that accelerates quickly and might be able to stop.

Yeah I had read about this in a couple of other publications. Thats a shame, I mean if I bought a direct injection turbo charged car, i would like it to get a lot out of the motor. I mean some of the stuff theyve been doing with the 2.0T VW engine, and everything. But hey, I guess its pretty expensive to get anything out of our cars too.

I kinda of understand what your sayin' but check this out, the engine is a 1.6L w/10:5:1 compression and its "rated" at 172 hp. Actual output is over 190hp and then there's the torque it puts out, again, higher then advertised. The other thing you've got to consider when making more power is putting it down and I'm sorry, FWD CAN NOT handle this task when power goes up, WAY up. I've driven a turbo'd CSVT that even turned down to about 12psi puts down about 325-350 hp and its completely useless in 1st and almost all of 2nd gear, so you've got to ask yourself this question..."when and how am I going to use all this power?"

Elradio:troutslap: :laugh: Don't you have a nailhead to pull? Wait, pull it out, put it up on Ebay and get yourself a real Buick engine, one with real valves that actually do something like flow. 455>401 everyday and especially on Sundays. Now go out and get it done and BTW, upgrade to a 4spd and 3.73's while your at too.

I know the heads on these cars flow like a white man rapping. :laugh: Horrible. It is getting warm out lately, I should go pull that thing...have a spare car I can throw it in to? LOL

Me Gravy-train? Ha maybe you should look at who was one of the first to post.

have fun with the austin powers car

Back