• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock Mini Cooper S dyno results

Klasse Act said:
I kinda of understand what your sayin' but check this out, the engine is a 1.6L w/10:5:1 compression and its "rated" at 172 hp. Actual output is over 190hp and then there's the torque it puts out, again, higher then advertised. The other thing you've got to consider when making more power is putting it down and I'm sorry, FWD CAN NOT handle this task when power goes up, WAY up. I've driven a turbo'd CSVT that even turned down to about 12psi puts down about 325-350 hp and its completely useless in 1st and almost all of 2nd gear, so you've got to ask yourself this question..."when and how am I going to use all this power?"

I don't think you need to defend the car at all. I have always had a little place in my heart for the Mini. If a good deal ever comes along I might have to get one. They seem like they are awesome little cars, and are engineered very well. But hey kudos on the buy and the car! Those dyno numbers are very impressive for the little 1.6! And I could only wish I had those kinds of torque numbers on the CSVT...

-Jon

*update!*

*update!*

I went to a dyno meet yesterday and the guy with stock 07' R56 MCS put down a baseline of 172/202 on the dyno a couple weeks ago. Now his car has 1100 miles on it and a full 3" turbo-back exhaust, free flowing cat, NO resonater and a polished ss Magnaflow muffler. The results:

183 hp and 212 ft/lbs of torque, a gain of 11 hp and 10 ft/lbs of torque. The dyno used was a DynoJet.

He was talking about the ECU needing to "read things better" to sum it up as easy as I can, so it looks like a flash is MUCH NEEDED:help: This guy is Ryan is VERY knowledgable about the Mini, his previous car put down 260 hp and had a turbo, not a S/C-er but my thing is this, does a 1.6L turbo car putting out boost in the low to mid teens need a 3" exhaust, I don't think so:shrug: He even said he couldn't understand why it was losing low-end torque, I mean I think its because of the HUGE exhaust, but who am I to question it:eek:

Exhaust on a turbo car is really totally different than the exhaust on an NA car. All the velocity/cylinder pulse tuning/balancing etc is done before/or negated by the turbo.

For most turbo applications bigger is better.

Exhaust on a turbo car is really totally different than the exhaust on an NA car. All the velocity/cylinder pulse tuning/balancing etc is done before/or negated by the turbo.

For most turbo applications bigger is better.

Yeah, "most" but on a car with a 1.6L putting out 12 psi it doesn't really need a 3" turbo-back. Then again this guys got plans, BIG plans for the car and I'm sure he's going to swap out the "Con-Air" for something else down the road, he's just that type of guy:cool:

Back