• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sticky and noisy brakes

Paul99SE

CEG'er
I need some input on my sticky and noisy brakes. When at a stop and I let go of the brake pedal the brakes almost feel like they don't want to let go and they make that creaking sound when I slowly let go of the pedal. The rear drum brakes are they noisiest though. When coming to a stop you can hear the contact of the drum and shoes together and when letting off the brake from a stop they make a loud creak almost clunk sound. I'm figuring maybe the front brakes are making these sounds cause perhaps the caliper pins are not lubricated enough but I'm not too familiar with drum brakes and why they would be making so much noise. Would something not be lubricated properly or is something out of adjustment?

sound's like it's time to take the wheels off and have a look :shrug: ,,,welcome

Ok here's the other problem. When driving about 10-15 mph, the car makes a high moaning/groaning sound that I can feel in the steering wheel and brake pedal but then goes away once I pick up speed or press the brake pedal. Once I release the brake pedal the sound returns when I'm in that speed range. Could this be due to a stuck caliper piston that is lightly pushing the brake pad against the rotor?

It certainly could be. Something is dragging but it could be a stuck piston or simply a pad that popped out of alignment a little.

Well yesterday I replaced front calipers, rotors and pads and the groaning sound is still there. I'm out of ideas. :shrug:

I did. I'm not gonna pay a shop to do brakes. But it is in the shop today to see if they can figure out what the sound is.

I sure did. The new calipers already came with grease on the pins and I put more on just to be sure. I lubricated the slots for the pads and sprayed the back of the pads with disc quiet.

It really doesn't sound like a wheel bearing noise. It's at the shop right now and when I talked to the guy yesterday he said it doesn't sound like a wheel bearing either. It's gotta be something brake related. I guess I'll find out later today what the problem is.

Well I talked to the shop and they don't know what the problem is either. They thought it was brake related but couldn't find anything wrong. I picked up the car from the shop a little while ago and there were no groaning sounds on the whole drive home. So either they fixed it and didn't know it or the car is just trying to make me feel good for the time being until the sounds returns tomorrow.

Back