• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starting a 3l swap

svtnoodle

CEG'er
Ran across a 02 Taurus 3l with 70k for $250 so im thinking about grabbing it and throwing it in the svt.

Im just going to do the straight 3l swap since this is my daily driver. what info i have got so far is

2.5 oil pan
2.5 timing cover
2.5 balancer
alternator bracket trimming
remove pilot bearing
tb mods
egr delete
replace the gaskets of course

my main questions are:
what else do i need to do for the egr delete besides block it off?
What wiring mods need to be done?
since its a 02 can i use the 2.5 coil packs?
can i use the taurus fuel rail?

i will be adding as i get closer. any help would be great. and yes ive read all the build threads my head hurts now :crazy:

The oil pickup will need to match your 2.5 pan, so that will need to be swapped also. The EGR delete will throw a cel which sometimes can be fixed in the tune, however the dpfe may need to be plugged in to avoid a cel. As far as wiring, if I remember correctly the 3L oil pressure sensor and knock sensor will need to be spliced into the wiring harness, the injectors will most likely need to be spliced too, but I'm not familiar with the 2002 3L injectors, just check the connectors. The rail can be used with an adapter, npg makes one and there's a lot of info on the forums about it, it works great and is totally worth the money.

Coil pack is great from the 2.5.

Hopefully I covered most of what you asked, I'm trying to refresh my memory about the full 3L swap.

The 2.5 motor mount will need to be modified to fit between the heads, unless you plan to remove the 3L heads that is.

Last edited:
ill have to grab a wiring diagram for the engine injectors. looks like i might have to keep the dpfe. is there any wiring needed to be done for that?

another main question is the 2002 3l worth getting or should i look at a newer one?

You NEED a tune for a full 3L. A dyno tune is going to cost over $500. A mail order tune with a XCal 3 will be $550. The car will not run unless you have your stock injectors in there. Even if you run the stock injectors the car will have absolutely no power down low due to not having secondaries in the 3L lower intake (tune will fix this). You'll have a check engine light for the IMRC and EGR. You have to use the fuel rail but you may need to buy adapters or build a custom rail depending on what fuel system you have. You'll need to build a custom throttle body bracket. The throttle body sensor connector needs to have the wiring extended. The casing around the injector harness needs to be trimmed for the 3L intake to fit. The vacuum lines will need to be modified to connect up to the 3L intake. You'll need to build a custom mount for the 2.5L coil pack. The idle air control valve might contact the hood when shut.

Back