• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Started to get a bit of turbo envy...

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
...so I decided to pick this up! Perfect time too as I just turned 25! Probably not the best financial decision but oh well! Just need to find a nice storage unit to keep it. I think I'll be making this my summer/auto-x/any kind of racing I can get into with it/ car.

1988 Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti. It's an automatic but that's meaningless since I will be swapping a world class T5 into it regardless. I'm going to try and do as much performance work on it as I can before I start buying up those damn expensive cosworth body parts. It already has a 3inch exhaust. Comes with the SVT wheels, and whatever extras the owner wants to throw in for me.

6b63_12.jpg

742b_12.jpg

746c_12.jpg

6f12_12.jpg

Always nice cars... though I can never get over the "cluster#$@^" look of the engine bay. Its always struck me as thrown together.

great pick up! you'll love it, especially after your swap!

I have the same thoughts as Ray- that is one birds nest under the hood! My first priority would be to try to clean that up, if possible.

Nice pick up though.

1988 Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti. It's an automatic but that's meaningless since I will be swapping a world class T5 into it regardless.

save yourself the headache of replacing broken T5's and just jump straight to a T56 (unless you plan to use an Astro or G-Force gear-set in the trans).

never been a huge fan of the way they looked but after a friend purchased one i became a fan of the car in general, a nice find man and it looks clean, congrats.
i imagine they make pretty decent sleepers.

Thanks guys...I'm at an awkward position because I'm about to overhaul my contour suspension with some awesome parts. I might try and finish that asap and get in a few auto-x's with it while doing maintenance/fixups on the merkur. Though it'd be nice to have the T5 in for some snowcross/rallycross action with my snow tires. I don't plan on making too much power. Just need to have a fun car that I can work on without worrying about finishing so I can go to work on monday.

I love those cars. :drool: I caught up with the owner of one around here. Turned out I knew his girl from high school, who was sitting in the front seat. It was kind of an awkward moment :laugh:

lmao...anyone else read through far enough to see honkeytonk monkey post about how ugly those xr's are :laugh:

post_old.gif
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM #472 Honkeytonk Monkey
Where is my @#$ antenna?!

icon1.gif
Re: XR4Ti Build Progress - Update 4-19-07
**** those cars are ugly things lol

post_old.gif
05-22-2007, 07:05 PM #484 Honkeytonk Monkey
Where is my @#$ antenna?!

icon1.gif
Re: XR4Ti Build Progress - Update 4-19-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkysk8r07
how could you put down a xr4ti when you've been driving a micra.

Excuse me, it's a Micra with flames...

I'll forgive you this one time though
smile.gif

Chris, stop by so I can drive that shiz! :drool:

I'll let you drive the 540 :laugh:

Fa sho. Jeff said the auto trans must have been rebuilt cuz it's like butta. That 3speed trans won't be getting me good mpg's any time soon tho lol. The only thing it needs is a new windshield and he's going to throw in a bunch of stuff he's got lying around. The paint is pretty clean for 20 years old sans the front headlight grill which just needs to be buffed/polished and a couple of spots on the fenders where someone used touch up paint. I think it's in better condition than my contour haha.

Also, jeff let me drive his scorpio and his blue merkur :drool::drool::drool:

I'm so glad I waited for a monotone color!

Also, jeff let me drive his scorpio and his blue merkur :drool::drool::drool:

I'm so glad I waited for a monotone color!

Yeah, I ran into him at the store last year (I think?) and we traded cars for part of the day. I fell in love with his XR4Ti. :drool::drool:

Back