• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spring Zing 2014?

If it was somehow linked to the All Ford Nationals at Carlisle, that would be a HUGE incentive for me to go, and I wouldn't have to drive alone as I have friends that go to the Focus Rising event that corresponds with AFN from this part of the country.

FYI - the "track day" mentioned earlier involves significantly longer tracks than 1/8 or 1/4 mile. They need to be 1.5 miles minimum, 2 or 2.5 miles preferred. and they need to have several corners and the start and finish lines are in the same place. :)

This.

So we're following the pattern then? Is that what you're saying?

AFN could be a great place to have it. its already one of the biggest Ford shows in the USA, so having one of our biggest Contour/Cougar meets there could be a lot of fun. We would be able to rent a huge tent with tables and chairs and could cook under there pretty easily. Most car clubs have their big meets there like Focus Rising, the Marauder meet, Yellow Mustang Registry, etc.

If you guys aren't into drag racing, we could see about finding a track. I was told there is one near the PA/OH boarder, so if we wanted to, we could meet there Thursday, then come to Carlisle and do Friday and Saturday at the show. Maybe have a banquet Saturday night, Judging for the best Contour and Cougar, and maybe do some other things. If you wanted to keep it local for the racing, we could see about setting up an Auto Cross course at Hershey park at the Giant Center parking lot. I know SCCA holds a lot of auto x meets there throughout the summer.

So we're following the pattern then? Is that what you're saying?

If you guys aren't into drag racing, we could see about finding a track. I was told there is one near the PA/OH boarder, so if we wanted to, we could meet there Thursday, then come to Carlisle and do Friday and Saturday at the show. Maybe have a banquet Saturday night, Judging for the best Contour and Cougar, and maybe do some other things. If you wanted to keep it local for the racing, we could see about setting up an Auto Cross course at Hershey park at the Giant Center parking lot. I know SCCA holds a lot of auto x meets there throughout the summer.

Scca sesquehanna has autocross events 2-3 times a month and are held either at hershey parking lot or the farm show parking lot. Fee this year is $45 a day for non members. Thier schedule for 2014 isn't out yet so it would be hard to plan as of now but this is deff something I would be at and plan to do at some point while I own this svt.

If you want some help getting a proposal together let me know Ill do what I can since the only way ill ever make it to a sz is if its local.

Thanks Lee. Might take you up on that.

I wasn't necessarily saying to go to an SCCA meet, but maybe buy a few hundred cones and make our own track :D

Being as how I've never done an AutoX, it might be better to tag along with SCCA or attend a few events before dedicating to making our own track

We have had good turn outs when we have done the two in ohio. I know we have 10 or so of us locally. the spring zing lite was here and we had more cars in it than what we had this year. I have been to both, cougarfest and spring zing. It all about the people... I am willing to help with any of the planning either it be in PA,Mich, Ohio I don't care I want a good turn out to make it worth the time....

I'll throw in another proposal for MN, but I'm sure people are still not willing to make the drive.

Last edited:
I'll throw in another proposal for MN, but I'm sure people are still not willing to make the drive.

Personally, since SZ has become one of those father/son things Ben and I enjoy doing together, the 6-8 hour drive to MN is much more appealing to me than the 11-14 hrs it would take to get to PA or VA. 6 hrs in the car is a long time for a kid, 7 hrs is really starting to push it (for mine anyway).

I would be very interested a MN SZ.

If there was an MN one I could have both my cars there (SeVT and Hello Cougar) and I have a friend with an SVT Contour and Focus also a Mystique that would join (he is on here but not really active)

I think we all know my take on attendance, interest, where to host, etc. I'll just say part of the excitement for me is meeting tons of new people - and seeing old friends, too. My gf really wants to go in 2014 because I've spoken so strongly about all the great people I've met through here.

I didn't go this year, because well, I just didn't find it interesting enough. Tough love, take me or leave me, but that's my opinion.

My feelings on getting the best turnout is to get your bunz out there and start promoting now.
Summer is still here. Start organizing more regular meets with your local members. Encourage people to meet up more often. It doesn't have to be huge events, just gatherings, getting to know each other, etc. (this is mostly directed at the newer members, or the old members that have fallen off the charts for a while)

If you've ever read through past threads, especially in the regional forums, you'd see that a lot of them were really tight groups.
They'd attend local car shows, do a dyno day, hit a car museum, do a car detailing day, go bowling, bbqs at each other's houses, etc. That can still happen.
It really works well to help build up excitement for SZ. And you can all caravan out in a large group. Even if you're timid about meeting new people at a national event, at least you'll all have your local buddies to fall back on lol.

The beauty of going longer distances is also dividing up the road trip, making a stop along the way. We've had people stop at each other's houses and then caravan over together the next day.
If it's a distance for me next year, I'll certainly be doing that sort of road trip, and am looking forward to it.

My feelings on getting the best turnout is to get your bunz out there and start promoting now.
Summer is still here. Start organizing more regular meets with your local members. Encourage people to meet up more often. It doesn't have to be huge events, just gatherings, getting to know each other, etc. (this is mostly directed at the newer members, or the old members that have fallen off the charts for a while)

If you've ever read through past threads, especially in the regional forums, you'd see that a lot of them were really tight groups.
They'd attend local car shows, do a dyno day, hit a car museum, do a car detailing day, go bowling, bbqs at each other's houses, etc. That can still happen.
It really works well to help build up excitement for SZ. And you can all caravan out in a large group. Even if you're timid about meeting new people at a national event, at least you'll all have your local buddies to fall back on lol.

The beauty of going longer distances is also dividing up the road trip, making a stop along the way. We've had people stop at each other's houses and then caravan over together the next day.
If it's a distance for me next year, I'll certainly be doing that sort of road trip, and am looking forward to it.

Oddly enough this is exactly what I did in the last couple of days lol.

And I do agree with you that this is part of the problem.

I didn't go this year, because well, I just didn't find it interesting enough. Tough love, take me or leave me, but that's my opinion.

Just curious, what would have made it "interesting" enough for you?

Just putting this out there...

I'd have gone to previous events, if it wasn't such an awful drive from Colorado. :(

If there was something closer, I'd go. The problem is, closer means in the middle of nowhere between me and the majority of members.

Maybe the west cost guys should start a similar, seperate event. I'd travel to CA, since I make several trips there each year anyway (all my family and friends live all over CA). Hell maybe even a meet in Vegas could be enough to bring in some people from the East side. I like the idea of combining with other groups, maybe more of a Cosworth theme or something to tie it all together. Maybe a little competition between the two events could be a healthy revival of some of the missing passion about these cars.

Vegas Baby. A sloth can count how many enthusiasts are in the valley on one hand!

It is a great destination for car meets. M fest is here every year and pulls tons of enthusiasts all over the country. They do it all.

Here is how it goes.

CONTOBERFEST 2014

Back