• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Solid cams with hydraulic lifters?

ButtonPuncher

Veteran CEG'er
I've gotta do some more research on this, but I figured that I'd throw it out there...

Is is possible to use a cam meant for solid lifters, but use it with hydraulic lifters?

I'm asking because I bought a set of McNews Focus turbo cams for my build. I was planning on using an '00 Focus Zetec engine but after alot of thought, I'm going with my '96 engine. I think that the 96's bottom end will be able to handle an obscene amount of power. Main cap thread. (BTW, I can't believe it's been 2.5years since that post. WOW. Time flies.)

Worst case, I can just use the stock cams and see how much power that I can get out of them by tuning the cam gears.

BTW, I'm also torn on how far that I want to go. If I go with Diamond pistons and eagle rods, it's $847. If I go with Diamond pistons and Crower rods, it's $1274.

I'm leaning toward the extra dough because I've heard of issues with Eagle's bolts.

BP

Are you planning on using them with the focus head? I say this because the location of the cam position sensor might prevent you from using the focus cams on the non-focus head.

Ahhhh. Good point. I thought that they were both on the intake side but I'll have to double check. I'll also have to check the size and type of sensor lobes on the cam and the sensor part number.

I know that all of the normal Foci used EGR just like the pre-98 Zetecs so hopefully they already used parts that they had on the shelf aka a Contour Zetec cam sensor.

BP

Back