• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SO.... how do I take the dash out?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
so I had a short in the wire going to the passenger footwell light and the fuse was too big so now I'm trying to get the dash out to chase the wire to the fuse box. so far I've traced it back into the center section of the dash were a few looms come together, but I'm pretty sure the wire goes over the top of the dash and I can't get up there with the dash in.

I have to leave GA by tonight in order to get to NC to register for classes. as it is, tomorrow is the last day for registration and I had to order brake pads so I'm still here.

if there's a link to a thread on this a link would be great, I can't find anything in interior...

please help ASAP

28 bolts. mostly torx

remove side covers to reveal 2
Remove driver kick panel
Remove headlight bezel
Remove guage cluster bezel
Remove glove box
Remove center console
Remove the cup holder console
Remove radio
Remove radio bezel
Remove air bag
Remove steering wheel

OK, I read the dash warp PDF and it's only explaining how to geth the dash out 6"...

I've got the cluster bezel out, glove box flipped down, both side torx for the dash out, and working on the center torx.

thing is, the wire for the passenger side footwell light (meldted one) is in a loom of wires that seems to go up under the dash and to the driver side. it's really hard to tell whats going on in there with the dash in the car, and I'd like to know exactly what I have to remove to get to it.

I'm assuming there's a relay someplace that makes the footwell lights come on when the doors are open. none of the wiring is damaged around the fuse box that I can tell, so I'm guessing those wires were big enough for what happened, and I'd like to think that the only fried wire is the one from the relay to the passenger footwell as the driver footwell wiring is also fine.

the plan is to get all of the passenger footwell light wire removed and then just tie the passenger footwell light into the working driver footwell light...

any other input would be great, thanks guys

[edit] the glove box are on my 98.5 is completely different than the one shown in the PDF, theres got to be something holding it still up top on that side, any info?

ok, dont have to pull the whole dash. I managed to get the air duct juntion out of the dash with the dash in car. broke a few corners, but I dont really care if the vent duct leaks a little inside the dash. more good news is that the entire circuit didnt melt all the way back. so I've got an orange wire and a black one, if anybody knows which is positive that would be great...

Back