• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sloppy manual shifter (sticky feeling)

Baglebry000

New CEG'er
I am currently in the process of buying a 1996 ford contour GL sedan 4D with the inline 2 liter and 5 speed manual. The car is great besides a very very sloppy and playful shifter. It feels like I’m pulling through tar when making shifts and there’s no mechanical clicking or feeling when it goes into every gear. Doesn’t pop out at all and doesn’t really grind at all either just no feeling at all for the gears and lots of play. I am wondering what could be causing this. Do these cars have shift linkage bushings that are easily accessible and replaceable? Is it the detents wearing out? What else should I be looking for? It’s really all that’s wrong with this car and I want to know if it’s worth getting into or not. Please let me know if any of you have dealt with this or know a solution. I do not have access to the car right now all I know is what’s in the post above. Sloppy sticky and playful shifts but the trans does work. Thanks.

Manual trans cars have cables & bushings, here are a set of Ebay cables

bushings too

get yourself a shop manual you'll need it one day.

Here is a link for more info on your shifter:

Back