• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

slop in strut tower

Slim57

CEG'er
Front struts, strut mounts, and strut boots were replaced a year back on 1995 w DuraTec, I get a clunk on rapid extension of front suspension, and other relatively quick impulses like washboard, or driveway approaches where precast curbing has been sawn away, common at some developments hereabouts.

Looking under the hood, there is a gap of about 1/8" between top of strut tower and the rubber backed washer that is fastened down by the nut on top of the strut. The washer is what keeps the strut from moving downward when weight is off the strut. When the weight is taken off of the strut, the gap closes.

Somehow, this doesn't seem right. I realize that mostly the weight of the car will keep strut pressed up, but looseness seems a recipe for unwanted noise.

Struts are KYB, don't recall about mounts and boots.

Has anyone else seen anything like this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

We've had a number of threads that spoke of this, but I can't find them right now, either my search-fu is weak or the forum just isn't indexed like it use to be.

Anyway, it's caused by front strut mounts that collapse a bit over time and cause the gap on top of the tower. If I recall correctly, folks who've used Ford/Motorcraft upper mounts haven't had this issue. I've bought a lot of aftermarket parts for my SVT Contour, and parts that have origins in China and Eastern Europe often seem to lack the quality control of factory parts, I've seen this especially in durometer (hardness) of rubber for engine, transmission and strut mounts. A lot of the aftermarket cheaper parts seem to be very gushy and of low quality, and it wouldn't surprise me if the lower quality elastomers are taking a compression set.

I had the same problem. I put a couple of large diameter washers on top then snugged the nut back down. Fixed

That's not the correct way to fix the real issue :( Bad strut mounts.

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/mod...ower-under-the-retainer?p=1334599#post1334599

I replaced mine and still had a small gap. I put a washer in one side and that fixed it. The one in the link looks like about 3/8 of an inch, enough to get your finger under. Mine and the op was much smaller. I don't know if it has to do with the kyb shocks. Both of us are running them. I have camber plates and everything was replaced and I still had a small gap with new strut mounts. What would the solution be then in order to stop the movement? I guess if you go back with everything from Ford that would solve it? Aftermarket I guess has too much variance? The op stated he replaced them as I did, so bad mounts are not the real issue. Aftermarket maybe. .02

You can't say the mounts are bad just because they are not quite as thick as they used to be and new parts if not genuine Ford may be too thin as well. Look at the mount, if it is breaking up yeah, it's bad. if still a solid part then shim up the top. I got ripped bigtime for this long ago on the Cougar site yet the fix I did by adding both metal washers and more rubber to top there works as well today at it did several years ago when I did it. I would go for more mounts if the distance more than 1/8" but up to that it will work fine shimming from the top. The mount in the link pic is utterly dead. I don't change the bearings either if complete and not broken, simply clean, regrease and back in they go. They work fine.

Thank you! I cut two 1/4" spacers from drill stem, and it quieted down nicely. I have new mevotech greaseable sway bar links and prothane bushings and brackets, will install those next, but so far spacers eliminate a lot of clunkiness. Grats!

Back