• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

slave cylinder install question HELP!!

kideddie18

New CEG'er
hey guys,

So ive been reading a lot on the forums, but i get 3 answers on the install. I got the luk clutch kit that comes with an o ring. Do i use the o ring by itself to install and torque down to spec, or do i do o ring plus some sealant, or do i take off the o ring dont use it and use gasket maker? I found those 3 answers and did not find an final answer. Long story short, my 3l swap shouldve been done this weekemd, but when all done and started the car it started leaking. We know for a fact its the slave cylinder, but could this be a defective part or we installed it wrong? I want my 3l done and my csvt back on th eroad... So any help would be good thanks!!

Its really easy. IIRC there are 3 bolts holding the slave cylinder in, you want to use black RTV sealant between the slave and the trans and bolt it on with those 3 bolts to the correct tq. I might be missing something or haven't ever had to deal with it but I have no idea what "o ring" your talking about.

I guess another possibility which happened to me was they could have sent you just the bearing on the end of the slave cylinder which was wrong. Also the ford OEM slave is going to be your best option, I have one with like 3k miles sitting in my garage.

okay cool fast ford, so technically sealant is all thats needed from cylinder and tryanny. okay. If not i guess i will either get that off of you or put the original one that came on the car. Thanks for the reply, the car shouldve been done already...

My LUK TOB just went on me, ive had nothing but problems with it since i installed. One of the 3 bolts were stripped too, which caused a leak when i first did my 3L swap. But for the last few months ive been having a horrible pedal, too much play and spongy, would have to pump to go in gear, 10k later it blew(last monday), i bought a FORD one, now there are only 2 left.

okay, thanks for the response guys, i am going to try to buy a ford replacement, Gomach1 you said theres 2 left where did you get yours?

Stripped bolt hole will give you hell. Mine did that and I ended up redrilling/threading a new larger whole in each one with bigger bolts. The sealer is a must, otherwise, it will leak. It happened to me twice. Do not overtorque those bolts because they are actually really easy to strip the threads.

How much leak are we talking about here? Is there going to be drips in the driveway? And you're talking about leaking trans fluid right? I had a slave cylinder replaced by ford, I replaced one and I actually pulled my trans another time to fix my clutch. I never saw an o-ring or any gasket maker between the slave and the trans and a leak was not apparent when looking inside the bellhousing. I'm assuming that if anaerobic gasket maker was used I would have seen it. I also didn't strip any of the bolt holes out and it was always torqued properly. I'm just a little concerned now that I might have something that is leaking or will leak.

How much leak are we talking about here? Is there going to be drips in the driveway? And you're talking about leaking trans fluid right? I had a slave cylinder replaced by ford, I replaced one and I actually pulled my trans another time to fix my clutch. I never saw an o-ring or any gasket maker between the slave and the trans and a leak was not apparent when looking inside the bellhousing. I'm assuming that if anaerobic gasket maker was used I would have seen it. I also didn't strip any of the bolt holes out and it was always torqued properly. I'm just a little concerned now that I might have something that is leaking or will leak.

Leaking tranny fluid and leaking brake fluid (Which is what is used for the slave cylinder) are two different things. You will leak 'clutch fluid' from the clutch line input on the top of the transmission or inside the bellhousing, in which the fluid will leak from between the bellhousing and engine block mating surface. If a leaking slave cylinder, it can go from a few drips, to, if you have a stripped bolt hole, you will blow it out when pushing the clutch pedal down (it happened to me), and all of it will come spewing out of the bellhousing, or it won't keep clutch pedal pressure and will steadily stream. First, you should diagnose which kinda of fluid is leaking, the brake fluid, or the transmission fluid, then go from there. BUT, if you don't have anything leaking, you should be good to go. Although I have heard of a few times where people have had leaking cylinders due to higher mileage.

Back