• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Single tuner for multiple vehicles?

alien_yet_familiar

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm wondering if I buy a handheld tuner that will work with the CSVT if it's possible to also use it on our Mustang (06 GT 5spd). Maybe a stupid question, if it is just ignore me. :eek:

As long as it is OBDII then yes. Just make sure you don't try to use a CSVT tune on a Mustang or vice versa:crazy:
Not really....
I'm wondering if I buy a handheld tuner that will work with the CSVT if it's possible to also use it on our Mustang (06 GT 5spd). Maybe a stupid question, if it is just ignore me. :eek:
You can tune one vehicle at a time. It's not that the unit isn't compatible with both vehicles, just you can only tune one car at a time. As soon as you upload the custom tune to one vehicle the tuner becomes "locked" and can only "return to stock" before uploading a new tune. So unless you want to run tunes at different times you would need two different tuners ;)

So what I'm understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that we could do a tune on one, then we would have to dump all that info from the tuner to do the other car?

If that's the case it wouldn't be so bad, because it's going to be a tune for daily driving, and we'd leave each car be until we added more goodies. We're not tracking either car yet so there's not a reason to change the tune on a regular basis.

We're looking at an intake for the Mustang (I don't know what it is, my husband knows) and the way the electronics are designed, the computer requires a retune after installation, or the car goes into its "limp home" mode and has to be reset by the dealer. So any intake kit sold for the Mustang comes with a tuner by necessity.

No, the Xcal stuff requires you to completely return the first vehicle to stock configuration before the Xcal could be unlocked to use on another vehicle. Even then, you would need to have someone supplying you with calibrations for each car, or you would have to purchase the Pro Racer Pack, which includes the software to write your own "tune". But the PRP only includes the codes for ONE PCM, if you want the codes to create tunes for a different PCM (say a Mustang PCM instead of a Contour one) you have to purchase the additional PCM data from SCT. So basically, no, you really need a seperate tuner for each car you plan to not leave stock.

so if im reading all this right

i have two contours and would need two tuners to tune them?

Yea if you wanted them to be tuned at the same time you would need 2 tuners.

Looks like I learned something new. I didn't know you couldn't store tunes for multiple vehicles on something like an xcal. :troutslap:

Maybe you should try reading before giving advice, especially when it concers giving a car a new tune.

Looks like I learned something new. I didn't know you couldn't store tunes for multiple vehicles on something like an xcal. :troutslap:

Its not because the hardware isn't capable of doing it, its the fact that SCT doesn't want to shoot themselves in the foot and have a big group of people buy one tuner and pass it around to tune 25 different cars with it. They have to protect their business.

And in the future, please don't post anything as fact that you don't have any idea how it really works. Bad technical information is bad for all of us, and extremely confusing for new users.

Its not because the hardware isn't capable of doing it, its the fact that SCT doesn't want to shoot themselves in the foot and have a big group of people buy one tuner and pass it around to tune 25 different cars with it. They have to protect their business.

And in the future, please don't post anything as fact that you don't have any idea how it really works. Bad technical information is bad for all of us, and extremely confusing for new users.

Again, I just read over it too fast and I apologize. I didn't realize you had to return a car to stock BEFORE it could be used on another platform. I my original post so no one is confused from it.

Back