• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Simple clarification of ideal 3.0L build.

i agree to any build if its done right.
if not then just no. if your 2.5 blew and ur putting in a 3.0l becuase its more reliable. well rememer ur gonna have to put money into every modification. my 2.5 spun a rod and so instead of another 2.5 i decided to put a 3.0l in, what was my goal? to put a reliable engine in. and i had everything accounted for including a tune
the biggest half ass is no tune.. its kinda liek going f/i and leaving out the tune because it runs good already. well thats redneck style anything goes. but because putting in a 3l is running more air and more fuel through the engine. the ecu needs to be accounted for that no matter what. more air in = more air out = more hp, kind of f/i you could say.

i agree to any build if its done right.
if not then just no. if your 2.5 blew and ur putting in a 3.0l becuase its more reliable. well rememer ur gonna have to put money into every modification. my 2.5 spun a rod and so instead of another 2.5 i decided to put a 3.0l in, what was my goal? to put a reliable engine in. and i had everything accounted for including a tune
the biggest half ass is no tune.. its kinda liek going f/i and leaving out the tune because it runs good already. well thats redneck style anything goes. but because putting in a 3l is running more air and more fuel through the engine. the ecu needs to be accounted for that no matter what. more air in = more air out = more hp, kind of f/i you could say.

It is nothing like going FI.

in a way yes, but its not. what i mean is a 3L draws more air and exhails more air then the 2.5. thus needing engine managment tune

in a way yes, but its not. what i mean is a 3L draws more air and exhails more air then the 2.5. thus needing engine managment tune

Like I said before, this philosophy could be applied to an exhaust or an intake. Tuning is a choice, not a necessity. It doesn't mean it's half-assed. If you have to choose between money for headers or a tune when doing a swap, it doesn't mean you half-assed it because you did one and not the other. Stop saying that not tuning makes a swap half-assed because it doesn't. People have different priorities and for most people that choose a port-matched swap, tuning is less of a priority. It's absolutely insulting for you to tell people they are half-assing something just because their priorities or the order of what they do isn't up to YOUR expectations.

Just stop it with this whole tuning thing. Your tune sounds half-assed since you spent like $200 on a dyno tune and its making not even 200whp. A port match swap DOES NOT NEED A TUNE, thats it!! A tune on any car is simply another mod, unless your changing port designs and significantly changing the amount of air coming into the engine at certain RPMs like removing the IMRC. What your not getting is that we are talking about ford contours with $500 engines in them, not brand new M5's. If someone is hand porting oval port heads to work with split port intakes, dont you think that is half-assed? So if the head/intake design is half-assed do you really think that person is going to give two ••••s about a tune that is just going to add a couple more hp and make it run a little better.

You miss the point entirely. To some people swapping a 3.0L and not adding headers at the same time is a waste of time, while others might consider swapping without getting a tune immediately a waste of time or "half-assed" as you so eloquently put it. Neither way is right or wrong it just comes down to preference.

To answer your question though, sure your car will run fine without headers if you swap in a 3.0L and get a tune. But then if you decide to add headers down the line wouldn't that just throw off your tune? I mean the car would run fine I'm sure but wouldn't it be smarter to get the headers first and do all the other bolt-on modifications and then just get one tune and be done with it. Again, I'm not saying that that's the way it needs to be done and every other way is wrong, I'm just saying that may be someone's train of thought especially when money is a concern. So tuning vs headers and other decisions when modding your car comes down to preference and shouldn't be considered "half-assed" just because you think you did it the right way.

I don't want to keep arguing with you. I just want you to acknowledge that when it comes to modding cars, each individual has their own priorities, goals, and budgets; so the order in which they do things shouldn't be judged as "half-assed".

headers later will not impact even close enough to what .5 displacement does. i pretty much agree with everything except one thing...if money is a concern, you shouldnt be doing a 3L swap. its obviously not pocket change.

edit: that was probably written a little harsh. but you should wait for funds and then do the swap. if a have a good reason , such as needing a car. (like i did, i drove around untuned for 3 months)

How many people are telling you that you are wrong? Yet you don't listen to them. How about you open up your eyes a little bit. Stop trying to be that guy, "Oh I am so anal about everything that my •••• don't stink and I only do things once the right way....every other way is just wrong." There is more than one way to skin a cat and swap a motor....and what you have been spewing is just wrong.

How many people are telling you that you are wrong? Yet you don't listen to them. How about you open up your eyes a little bit. Stop trying to be that guy, "Oh I am so anal about everything that my •••• don't stink and I only do things once the right way....every other way is just wrong." There is more than one way to skin a cat and swap a motor....and what you have been spewing is just wrong.

im not saying one swap is better over another. i am saying for different circumstances one is better over another. even tho many of those circumstances are "halfassed" which to everyone else they are not.

Your tune must not be good or your build not quite right. I was getting 35 mpg on my old full 3.0L highway.

maybe. i never had good mpgs. but i do plan to go back and get a retune since iv gotten a y-yipe and 65mm tb since my first tune. also also my current tune was a really quick one because of huge snow storm that was coming and i need to drive 7hrs home.

Back