• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Should I keep what I have or "upgrade"?

I highly doubt that he is going to run more than 500 watts to door speakers, seeing how the glass inside the door would shatter. Unless your doing competitions, then any wire will suffice.

And who the hell puts over 1k watt amp in a daily driver?
lol i dont guess i should post pics of my previous installs:laugh:

I highly doubt that he is going to run more than 500 watts to door speakers, seeing how the glass inside the door would shatter. Unless your doing competitions, then any wire will suffice.

The glass inside the door would not break from the speakers as they don't put out enough sound pressure.

I will be running 1200-1600rms just for bass when I add another sub :laugh:.

Still, most people usually don't run over 1k watts in a daily driver. And i doubt the op will be running more than 500 watts, seeing how this is the first time he's done it.

I am not saying that running new wire isnt better, I am however going to say it isn't worth the effort for the majority of people unless they are going extreme. If your not going all out on quality equipment then why bother going way beyond on the freaking wiring?
I never disagreed with that. For ~100w or less stock wiring should be fine.

If you're looking at sub amps 1kw is almost standard these days.

dude look at the tinsel leads that go to your speakers and tell me they are a huge bit bigger than the stock speaker wires?

Hook into the stock wiring AFTER the amp if you have/had one and call it a day. The only reason you would have an issue doing so is if your running a fully active 2/3 way setup in the doors. otherwise your components should have come with crossovers. you run your main reg wore into that and then it seperates the signals and one set goes to the tweeter the other to the mid. Not hard guys...

little late to the discussion, but wanted to agree with this...after speaking to some folks at a local stereo shop, they said they rarely run new speaker wires to the doors unless you're running big amps (way more than the typical 50x4)...they even turned me on to the nicely bundled cable they use to run from the head unit harness to the amp; it has nine wires - two for each door speaker and a remote turn on...made things really easy and fit neatly under the carpet :)

little late to the discussion, but wanted to agree with this...after speaking to some folks at a local stereo shop, they said they rarely run new speaker wires to the doors unless you're running big amps (way more than the typical 50x4)...they even turned me on to the nicely bundled cable they use to run from the head unit harness to the amp; it has nine wires - two for each door speaker and a remote turn on...made things really easy and fit neatly under the carpet :)
Bingo! That wire is pure awesome!

it's not hard to figure out what you're losing, if you're losing anything by your speaker wiring. It's a function of the resistance of the wire and the current being delivered to the speaker. If you have some 20 ga stock wiring it doesn't take much to push its limits. IIRC the 'Tours are probably 18 -- for most applications it'll be adequate.

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

:laugh::laugh: I have 580W running to my door speakers:laugh::laugh: But that amp is tuned all the way down cause i need more powerful subs to keep up with the speakers. I will get pics up of my system when i can on this thread. I have 4GA running to my trunk that powers 2 amps both 580W 1 is for subs other for speakers. I have 14GA. running to all of my speakers (one door is FUGLY the way i ran them:cry: was having a R-tard moment ) but at least the door that never seems to be used:laugh:. 2 12" dual subs that pound oddly hard. And for my 18th b-day i am getting 2 10" square MTX comps with a 1200W amp and another battery. And this is all on my DD (i only have this car) Will have pics up soon. OH And it ONLY cost me 1grand for it all!!!
but the setup i am geting when i am 18 is 1300$ alone.

:laugh::laugh: I have 580W running to my door speakers:laugh::laugh: But that amp is tuned all the way down cause i need more powerful subs to keep up with the speakers. I will get pics up of my system when i can on this thread. I have 4GA running to my trunk that powers 2 amps both 580W 1 is for subs other for speakers. I have 14GA. running to all of my speakers (one door is FUGLY the way i ran them:cry: was having a R-tard moment ) but at least the door that never seems to be used:laugh:. 2 12" dual subs that pound oddly hard. And for my 18th b-day i am getting 2 10" square MTX comps with a 1200W amp and another battery. And this is all on my DD (i only have this car) Will have pics up soon. OH And it ONLY cost me 1grand for it all!!!
this post are you serious?

First of all, why do you have such huge wiring for a small amp(s)? You could easily pass with around 10 gauge for that small. I have 4g running to my 4k watt amp and thats plenty of wiring for that even.

lmao-real.jpg
< at everything you just said. #1, you grossly overpaid. And #2, for your birthday, don't you want to get your underbody lighting kit first? I mean, isn't that more important?
Well when you refer to your Contour SE as "Silver rocket" I guess that means the bar is set pretty low. Please post pics of the system, I haven't had a good laugh lately.

I own a set of duals, and i still have a laugh at they hit oddly hard...>.>

that struck me funny, as if you were actually doing that, sitting down with popcorn to watch this thread evolve. but yeah what did you end up doing

For him sitting down and watching this thread, he sure aint watching this thread :shrug::shrug:

lmao-real.jpg
< at everything you just said. #1, you grossly overpaid. And #2, for your birthday, don't you want to get your underbody lighting kit first? I mean, isn't that more important?
Well when you refer to your Contour SE as "Silver rocket" I guess that means the bar is set pretty low. Please post pics of the system, I haven't had a good laugh lately.
this is what I was getting at but apparrently he didnt get it lol. I am glad you typed it all out.

Back