• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Self-loosening Axle Nut?

UPDATE:

Brand new hub and nut went on about 500-800 miles ago, torqued to spec.

The wheel is loose. Again.

I've been tightening it regularly, new axle going in on Saturday (with a new nut again). Why the hell would the axle be the cause of the problem? It's just threads on a shank.....

Anyway, think that bearing's still ok? It's barely seen any use...

Hrmm it's usually the knuckle that is the cause. But you've removed that from the equation??

Maybe so much play in the splines of the half shaft that it's causing it to come lose ?

you are going to need to replace the axle ... if it just slides easily in or out of the knuckle there is a problem. it needs to be pushed out or pulled in.

Just hope that you didn't damage the new hub and bearing during that time. You should of replaced it all together the first time around.

Yeah, me too. Though I was tightening it down frequently once I realized it was loose.

Incidentally, when we pulled my old bearing (~10k miles on it), it appeared perfectly fine. Of course, I suppose the damage could be, like, microscopic...

Anyhow, since when do passenger-side axles not include the intermediate shaft? I swore I bought it as one unit before... that's gonna be a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: to separate.

Replaced the whole knuckle and axle with working ones from a parts car on Saturday... let's see how well it holds.

Back