• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

searched, still confused

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
Hello all, need some help. My e-brake is not working, no broken cables. The issue is at the handle, the cable keeps sliding off the cam(?), but I still have the little tab that is supposed to keep it there. I get it hooked up, and when I pull the handle, it seems ok, but when i release the handle, the silver end of the cable (that looks like a bicycle brake cable) keeps popping out of the hole where it is supposed to sit. Does that make sense?

I keep reading past posts, but I'm not sure exactly how the pawl and such is supposed to function. The autozone links don't help, what I need to know is do I need a new handle for the e-brake, could my cables be streatched too far, or what. Just really frustrated, I don't want to buy a new handle only to find out that was not the issue. Any have a tutorial for idiots as to how the e-brake on our cars functions? :cry:

Ok, went to JY and got a used but working e-brake handle. However, I could not get under the car to get the front cable, I only have the handle. Guess I'll try to use my old cable a,d see how that works. :shrug:

Back