• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sap Removal

mzracer360

Veteran CEG'er
I need to know how I can remove tree sap from the hood and top of my car. I've tried a meguire's(SP?) sap/tar remover but it didnt work.

Lighter fluid.

WD-40 - although be careful due to some of the chemical contents that can harm your paint. Remove the sap and quickly wash/clean the WD-40 off the paint.

HTH

Lighter fluid.

WD-40 - although be careful due to some of the chemical contents that can harm your paint. Remove the sap and quickly wash/clean the WD-40 off the paint.

HTH
i think the same goes for googone. when none of my bug/tar removers made a dent in the sap, googone removed it like magic. but some say it may stain so i wiped it off very quickly and washed area.

We use tar remover type products to get rubber tire marks off our race cars.

The stuff I've had good luck w/ is the Turtle Wax bug and tar remover (not the spray, it comes in a little can w/ a plastic pop top) And a spray product called "Tarminator". not sure where to get Tarminator, because the two cans I had came in an auction purchase of a bunch of stuff from an IRL race team. if anyone sees it for sale somewhere, let me know.

btw, Brake cleaner works really well too, but I don't recommend it for any paint you want to stay shiny for a long time, lol.

I used the same as Rara (Turtle Wax) for tar that was on the sides of my car. It worked real good, no scrubbing, and cleaned to a nice shine.:cool:

I forgot that I have tried "Tarminator", it got a little bit of the small fresh sap off, but didnt even put a dent on the old stuff. Before I started driving my car, it sat in our driveway for a couple months in which sap fell on it and never got washed off. I have been driving it close to a year now and the sap has never been taken off since.

When i did a search for the turtle wax, i found this:
rodi_1913_15028303

http://www.autobarn.net/actw-66xl.html

Do you think I should try it too?

I would stick to clay bar, lighter fluid or WD-40...all very readily available. Just be sure to wash the area well when your done.

Im so disappointed :nonono:

I bought the Mothers detailing clay right after college.:cool: Went home and I washed and dryed the car, then used the clay. No luck.:confused: As soon as I wiped off the mothers, I sprayed on the Tarminator and let it soak. Still no luck.:cry: When my mom got home she said that our neighbor, who owns the tree that drops the sap, recommended using lacquer thinner. So we both went out and put a little on a towel and started scrubbing. No Luck at all.:mad:

Seeing as my dad is a hero to my neighbors now (long story), I could probably get away with that! lol

Best product for sap removal: rubbing alcohol. I've used it numerous times and it has worked 100%! Use a soft rag and wet a small area of it (a little bigger than the end of your finger) with the alcohol and then put that area on the sap. Let it sit for 10-15 seconds and then start rubbing lightly (using light pressure w/ your finger tip). Most of the time the sap wipes right off. If there's any residue, clay bar will due the trick.

On a side note, if anyone recommends that you use dry gas...don't do it! And please don't ask how I know??

Best product for sap removal: rubbing alcohol. I've used it numerous times and it has worked 100%! Use a soft rag and wet a small area of it (a little bigger than the end of your finger) with the alcohol and then put that area on the sap. Let it sit for 10-15 seconds and then start rubbing lightly (using light pressure w/ your finger tip). Most of the time the sap wipes right off. If there's any residue, clay bar will due the trick.

On a side note, if anyone recommends that you use dry gas...don't do it! And please don't ask how I know??
same procedure i use with the googone

i dont see a direct link buttom like the old forums so here's the tarminator page:

http://www.properautocare.com/9115.html

edit: cool the link automatically worked.

Denatured Alcohol cuts sap fast, especially White pine sap if its fresh. It evaporates fast and you should always wash with cold water and car-wash.
I've noticed no real damage except it could remove wax job but if you could have seen my new Probe in summer of 89. Re-waxing not a bid deal. It was a dark brown color.
I parked in area 50 ft from a fence that was having schrub trees removed with chainsaws. Unfortunately no knew the apartments next door was going to do the clean-up. The sap/sawdust after sitting all day in 90 degree plus day had melted into the clearcoat. Wish I had known about denatured alcohol then, could have limited the damage. It was very similiar to water beads after a rain storm in the summer, only much deeper and much more noticeable.

Last edited:
Back