• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

S40 walking a 350z, haha

Since you all like S40's so much, you should buy mine. Its not the new body style, but can easily be made as fast since it weighs a lot less. I am definitely faster than a stock CSVT right now with just a MBC set conversatively and an intake. (I used to own a CSVT so I can easily make the comparison) I am at about 200hp and only weigh about 2800 pounds. For around $1200 or so you can easily make that 250hp or more.

Its a 01 S40 with the 1.9T, only downside is that its an automatic. (I average 25mpg around town and have gotten 37 mpg on highway trips at 72mph)

lol. Yeah right. ATX....yech :help:

The old ones look decent but still not as good as the new styling.
I like some of the older 750s and and that era square body style but many volvos just never turned me on.
This one did though.

Last edited:
lol. Yeah right. ATX....yech :help:

The old ones look decent but still not as good as the new styling.
I lick some of the older 750s and and that era square body style but many volvos just never turned me on.
This one did though.

I actually think I like the old styling better. Like I mentioned, the only down side to this style is the lack of a 5 speed option.

This picture is not my car.

Attachments

• s40front.jpg
    s40front.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So anyway, back to the topic at hand....

My exhaust just shipped two days ago so I should have it Monday or Tuesday.

Pipe bends are here and flanges are here. Just need the turbo and wastegate so I can begin fitment and such.

Fortunately I made a jig from the old manifold when I took it off to see what I had to work with.

Here are two pics of the stock stuff.

Attachments

• s40 turbo manifold small.jpg
    s40 turbo manifold small.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • Turbo November06 004 small.jpg
    Turbo November06 004 small.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
So anyway, back to the topic at hand....

My exhaust just shipped two days ago so I should have it Monday or Tuesday.

Pipe bends are here and flanges are here. Just need the turbo and wastegate so I can begin fitment and such.

Fortunately I made a jig from the old manifold when I took it off to see what I had to work with.

Here are two pics of the stock stuff.

How much HP will you be pushing when you are done? Also, are you on s40concepts.net?

I'm not on S40concepts.net. I have been on swedespeed a bit but I'm not entirely thrilled with that site.

I got my exhaust earlier than expected, last night actually.

I looks good, 3" stainless exhaust, nice tips, etc. I'll take some pictures today.

I have everything but the turbo, blowoff, wastegate now.

I'm in my 30s now, not like when I bought my SVT. I have a job that requires me to have a modicum of respectability:help:, hence the level of auto that I can still turn into a sleeper. :cool:

Thats funny because I am almost out of my 30's and my car is still loud as can be and will most likely be louder with the new engine (more displacement and more compression) plus the addition of the EWG and the VTA Tial 50mm BOV...things should be interesting....hopefully the addition of an AEM EMS in the early spring as well....

Thats funny because I am almost out of my 30's and my car is still loud as can be and will most likely be louder with the new engine (more displacement and more compression) plus the addition of the EWG and the VTA Tial 50mm BOV...things should be interesting....hopefully the addition of an AEM EMS in the early spring as well....

Well since we're on the topic of loud. I got the exhaust on this sunday.

It is a bit louder than I like for this car so I will have to modify it or sell it. :(

Here are pics of my car finally as promised

Attachments

• s40 small _1.jpg
    s40 small _1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • s40 small _2.jpg
    s40 small _2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • s40 small _3.jpg
    s40 small _3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • s40 small _4.jpg
    s40 small _4.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s40 small _5.jpg
    s40 small _5.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
More new pictures

More new pictures

More new pictures

The last one is the exhaust parts before installation. It bolted up very easy I would say but I welded all the tips on rather than use clamps that would be visible.

Attachments

• s40 small _6.jpg
    s40 small _6.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
  • s40 small _7.jpg
    s40 small _7.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • s40 small _8.jpg
    s40 small _8.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
  • s40 small _9.jpg
    s40 small _9.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
What kind of mufflers do they use? If it is a packed one (kinda like a motorcycle) it will take time to tone down and break it....my was on the verge of being remved..but it finally broke in and is just perfect....but loud enough to let people know I am comming...

Judge, I couldn't read a name on it. It was highly polished. As you can see in the last picture the 3" pipe enters on the side into the main chamber with a direct passageway to the exit pipes. If you look into the muffler from the exit pipe you look right out the other side. It seems like it just has a primary chamber with a passage leading to the split for the dual pipe outlets. The inside of the walls look like a standard resonator or magnaflow straight through muffler with lots of little holes.
Do you really think it will "break-in"? I'm not expecting it to get any quieter and it does tend to be a bit loud around 2300rpm.

For some reason I can't host up any more pictures on the website so I had to load all these individually. Would be nice if someone could host just a few good shots to show the car.

tom's pics......

beautiful car, tom!!! :)

s402.jpg

s405.jpg

s408.jpg

s401.jpg

s409.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for hosting them for me!

I don't know why access to my site is messed up but it may be time for a new site.

I hope to be getting the turbo in tomorrow and then I'll start fabricating the manifold.
I'll post up some pics when I get it started.

My g/f has the gunmetal color. I really like it. Red is nice too!

Kinda O/T, but the CEL that I mentioned her having ended up being the ECU needed a software upgrade. Have you had that issue?

No, I've only had one issue in 1.5 years of ownership.

I had a start-stutter-stall issue for a while when ambient temps were above 70-75F or something like that. It was only on the T5 models. After the car sat a while you'd go to start it up and it would stutter and sometimes stall sometimes clear up. If it stalled you'd start it right back up and it would start perfectly fine.
About 6 months ago they gave me a software update that fixed everyting. Never had a check engine light. It ended up being an intolerance to fuel volatility variations in USA or something like that.
Car has been extremely quiet, tight, rattle free. High quality interior and exterior materials.
Good handling, road comfort.
Until my new exhaust it was so quiet you couldn't hear it running at all ever.

AWD system seems to work flawlessly so far. I can never upset this thing on wet roads or dirt roads it seems. :D
Fuel economy is consistent, pulling up to 29-30 on long road trips but in mixed city/highway it pulls 25-27mpg depending on time of year.
Straight city driving appears to be around 21mpg.

I'm about to frck all that up real soon with a bigger turbo though. :cool:

Back