• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rotton smell from engine

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
Ok, today i stop at a light and i have my windows down, air blows in and it smells like complete A$$, terrible. i know its from my engine bay ...My CEL is on...

help?

might be cat if it smells like rotten eggs and somehow its getting into the vents. Check cabin air filter, might have mice in it. I had a mouse nest the first time i change it.

I would tend to lean towards a sulphuric smell being the cat. The other causes would be the Cabin Air filter being moldy, but that wouldn't be a TERRIBLE smell, and it would come in with the windows up, and the vents going.

I had that exact same problem with my 1998 Mystique LS:) I would smell rotten eggs sometimes, especially if I accelerated, but had no CEL. One day, I got the CEL and had to clear it. A few days later it came on, and the car stunk again. I had code P1131. That means the rear bank O2 sensor is slow. Replacing that sensor solved the problem so far. You need to scan for codes. I think P1151 is the code for the front 02 sensor. The rear one is a bear to change, see http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=344

Just for fun, check your battery too!

I had a horrible sulphur smell in my car, ended up my battery was boiling! :shocked:

Had to drive another 75 miles to civilization (I was between Great Falls and Billings Montana), got to batteries plus, and they were suprised it didn't explode.

montana17_battery.jpg

And yes, that is smoke rising from it, not a smudge on my camera!

They took a voltage reading, and it seemed like it had a dead cell... Only explaination was that my alternator was overcharging it. It was one of those gel filled "spiral cell" Exide Orbitals. Replaced with an Optima Yellow Top.

...Of course, my battery is technically inside the passenger compartment. It was so bad my eyes were hurting from the sulphur.

This is also highly unlikely!

Oh, and here's the never-before-seen vid I made! - 432KB WMV

Back