• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Road trip time!

Yea I should have drove it around a lil more before I did the axles because it for sure skips and jerks real bad when turning. Pisses me off because I asked the guy I bought it from if he knew for sure that it was the axles and not the diff and he said the transmission is 100% and that he knows for sure its the axles.

Not really sure what I am going to do with it now.

Dude changing the diff is a walk in the park. I might have a stock one in the garage ill send u for cost of shipping. I got a assload of stuff I just need gone. I have a Torsen also but that might be going in another car.

Dude changing the diff is a walk in the park. I might have a stock one in the garage ill send u for cost of shipping. I got a assload of stuff I just need gone. I have a Torsen also but that might be going in another car.

Do you know if its a pre98 diff?

Like Blu said, I have too many projects going right now and this one just turned into a lot more work then I had planned or even have the time and $ for. And knowing my luck I would dive into replacing the diff and then something else will pop up, like the engine harness in this thing is the last thing I want to start messing with. It would be a shame but, I might just have to part it out.

I would just replace the trans. With as many mtx75's in jy near me I'll just go pull one lol. Let me know if you'd rather go this route I can go pull one for you.

Thanks for the offer, I think my best option is to find a pre98 diff and swap it into the current trans since it feels like it shifts flawless. I would waaay rather just part this thing out now and get my $ out of it, but its just a diff I cant do that. I have done several 3L swaps in these cars, but never have had to pull just the trans, dropping the subframe sounds like a nightmare to me. And has anyone used the torsen install vid on youtube to install their diff?

Bring me the car when you come to Ft Lauderdale.

I would if I wasnt flying, which might not even be happening now.

Soo yesterday I had to move the cougar to do the axles on the svt, drove it around the block a couple times and let it run for awhile and parked it back in the garage with the cover over it. Well now that the SVT is a huge project I needed to move the cars back to where they all were before yesterday, got there this morning moved the svt out and went to move the cougar just to hear it try to start. Fuel pump primes like usual, nothing was touched on the car at all and now all it does is crank over. CDW27 gods.... is this a joke?

Well since the SVT has a dead battery, I have been swapping the battery out of the cougar between the cars to move them around. The SVT fires up just fine with the battery so we know thats not it. The coug will crank over for days but nothing happens.

Pedal to the floor, and crank till it hits.

Haha tried that!

Instead of being pissed off and doing nothing today, I figured it was a nice day to start the cleaning process.

photo-44_zpsdd7cb135.jpg

Passenger seat was a PITA to get out, mainly because it doesnt slide for some reason. Took the carpet and all the mats out and power washed them as well, removed the head unit since I have a nice alpine sitting in a box, and removed the door panel to find some broken parts of the window and to pull the glass up into place. One step at a time I guess

A quick check would be spray a bit of starting fluid. if you get a stumble maybe your not getting fuel. Pumps have been known to die when not in use

Sounds like my Contour, took it to the store, ran perfectly, come home, shut it off, go out to start it 20 minutes later, all it does is crank. I went through every diagnostic step available to me including tracking down every single ground and cleaning them up.

Turns out, crank sensor, and it only takes like 5 minutes to get out only removing the wheel and splash guard.

Tried starting the coug again with high hopes, but nothin. I guess I'm glad it died somewhere in the garage, cus I just put the cover back over it and turned my head to the SVT.

Trunk is good to go, same with the back seats. Headrest on the passenger front seat needs replaced, and the tracks wouldnt slide at all before, after some wd40 it slides alright but still not the best. The drivers seat is sort of in sad condition, the PO decided that instead of taking the door panel off to pull the broken window up he would just unbolt the seat and lay it down so that the weather wouldnt ruin it. In the process he managed to snap the bolt that holds the seat belt to the seat, the belt latch assembly between the seat and center console is no where to be seen, and I still cant figure out why the carpet was cut out in the pic. And the forward and back function on the seat just grinds, only moves if you get off the seat and pull it. So I think I will have my eyes pealed for a new drivers seat at some point.

photo-59_zps8673cf7f.jpg

photo-58_zps7458bb46.jpg

photo-55_zps1d2eb090.jpg

photo-56_zps097ffa6c.jpg

photo-57_zpsa2bded7d.jpg

ahh looking good. Your trip sounds a lot like the one I made this past Friday up into Johns neck of the woods 6 hour round(then drove 3 hours to Cincy with the family that night).. somehow I think he knows the car I bought very well...i snatched my 3L portmatched swap up for less than a 1000. Would have been nice to see that turbo build he grabbed up. I have a feeling that car might have some of the parts that mine is missing.. John if you find an extra set of rear seat belts let me know, have a 6 month old i need to strap in lol!

Back