• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rim opinions for the coug

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
so I'm just going to get another set of rims rather than fight with the enkies. I'll probably still try to fix the enkies so I have a spare set of 17"s, but for now, I'm looking at gunmetal 6 spoke FSVT's, since they will follow suit with the 6 spoke cougar sport 16"s and the three useable PK6 that I already have. I dont want to have an emergency rim that is too far from the rest of them if that makes sense. so 6 spokes all the way. has anyone seen these gunmetal and hyper black 04 focus SVT rims? they look just like ordinary 6 spokes, but the inner areas are gunmetal and the face surfaces are a black chrome finish. if anyone has pictures of them on a car, or comments about weight and dent resistance, that would be great. thanks guys!

hyperdark6spksvt.png

could I get a hand finding more pics? they have the same rim code at the ordinary 6 spokes....

is the face a dark anodized machine finish, or is that picture dark?

I dont want to bling the coug too much, I want a black on red look, but with the class of metalics, if that makes sense...

in the pic they look like the face is hyper dark like vader's rims, and the recesses are gunmetal....

Yea ill dig up the pic. It was on a black csvt. The rims looked like a factory aluminum finish all around. But maybe you can order it in different finishes?

yeah theres three finishes, silver, anthrocite, and "chrome"

the one pictured claims to be "machined face with grey insets" so I'm trying to figure out which one it is...

I also cant just trust the one pic. I know what silver FSVT rims look like, my original plan was just to get some ordinary silver ones and have them powder coated a black chrome finish (something a little darker and shinier than normal gunmetal, more like black anodized)

considering the lack of info on the rim pictured above, and that it is the only one of it's kind I can find, I may just go with my original plan. I really like the idea of the 6spoke fsvt rims on a coug though, the rims are designed to go on a new edge car and the coug comes with 6 spoke rims stock, so it should look very classy...

like, get some standard 6spoke FSVT rims and refinish them with this color powder coat...

SL_3.jpg

a little classier than that standard gunmetal right? should match up perfectly with the black cougar headlights...

yeah, so I need to find 5 or 6 3535 FSVT 17"s and then figure out how to powder coat them in a black chrome finish...

I was really hoping I could find something oout of the box so to speak so all I'd have to do is get my tires swapped over...

so I'm trying to find a single coat high gloss black chrome powder coat that will hold up to some abuse....

ironically, the new place I just signed on needs a stove, so synchronicity is taking place...

any advice on baking rims and a good black chrome powder coat would be epic. from my understanding some wet powders come in rattle can right? so it's just like high temp baked enamel right?

I've had some great success with caliper paint in a home oven and I know my old roomates oven had a dent in the back for large pizzas that fit a 17" rim perfectly....

500-550 is the cure temp for most powder coat right?

any advice???

feel free to pm me if you'd like to keep info private....

so far I'm not having much luck in any departments here, need rims stat so I can get some rubber under this thing. it needs an alignment too and I dont want to get it aligned till it has the right rims and tires on it....

ok, so I think I'm just going to get some wheels mailed out to me, then try to find a local place to do the powder coating. anyone know how much I should expect to pay per wheel?

You should shop around a little, and when you do, you should get quoted TWO prices: One if you hand the factory painted wheels over to them, and another if you completely strip/blast/dip/sand/etc the paint off the wheels yourself. The wheels have to be 100% clean, otherwise, they are going to charge you for prep. If you don't mind doing the dirty work yourself, I'd say $150 - $200 to powder coat all 4 wheels is fair. Expect $300-$400 if they do the prep work for you. If you google "how much to powder coat wheel", there are 100's of results of different automotive forums.

3 summers ago, I had two 15 inch boat trailer wheels (re)powercoated white. They cleaned/prepped the wheels, which had minor surface rust, hub grease, and red/blue pinstripes on the wheels themselves. $100 and maybe 2-3 days in and out.

damn, thats a bit more than I was expecting. isnt the factory coating on wheels powder coat in the first place? why does it even need to come off?

so does anyone have any experience buying stuff from focus fanatics? I've sold some parts there but never bought anything. trying to get the rims nailed down and then get to powder coating from there...

so I purchased 4 FSVT 6spokes today for $350 shipped, they have no rash or anything, supposedly only two months old.

the project is now making them a black chrom color. how do you guys feel about just taking them to peach or someplace like that and having a good baked enamel done on them in a metalic black? that should hold up as well as the original rim paint and be cheaper than powder coat right?

looking for opinions guys, I'd really love to do the black chrom powder coat as it would be beautiful, but I dont thing I can afford a $400 paintjob on my wheels right now and I'm getting tired of the mixed mached rim situation....

I know it's the weekend and everything so nobodies at work, but I'd really like some opinions on the durability and finnish of baked automotive enamel in a metalic black versus a black chrome powder coat when ever yall get on here monday. I should have a break at like noon monday where I'll be able to get on here and see what yall think. thanks!

well I found this place, they seem exorbinate though....

http://www.3sx.com/pc/default.asp

edit:

also just found these guys, they seem extremely competent, but they are also rather expensive...

http://www.princewheels.com/

edit:

and what about these guys? they say they paint rims, any idea what a place like thi's work would cost or look like?

http://www.kwicksilvernc.com/contactus.html

and I also found these guys, they claim to do a lot of industrial grade and automotive powder coating, so they might do rims cheaper?

http://www.marspowdercoating.com/

actually, mars did these motorcycle wheels in a black chrom that is pretty much exactly what I want on my FSVT rims, check it out:

100_0372_9of2..jpg

Back