• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RFcsvt 06 Escape 3L

RFcsvt

Veteran CEG'er
Hello CEG!! I thought I would share the details of my 3L build considering I would have never completed this without all the info contributed to this site. I have been able to put a good amount of miles on the car this summer now that I’ve had a chance to iron out some of the issues that showed up after I completed the install. I completed the engine swap early in the spring 2011. I guess I decided to do a build thread now because it’s still a work in progress; there are things I want to change or improve going forward.

I won’t include all the engine pulling details because that has been covered many times, I’ll stick to what seems to be the major issues with the build.

Here’s the car prior to tearing into it.

I decided I wanted to go full 3L so I picked up a 06 Escape engine locally with 50k miles on it. The oil pan has no fitment issues, I like the Escape UIM and to be honest I wanted to see if it would fit under the hood since there had been some conflicting opinions on that issue.

In addition to the engine swap I also decided to put on MSDS headers, a BAT Inc. y-pipe and cat, a Fidanza flywheel, a Torsen dif, a 3.56 final drive, Ksport coilovers and basically any other wear items I could replace. Hear are some pics of the parts.

This is what the later style output shaft and ring gear look like; this is what you need to use the Focus 3.56 final drive

Here is the NPG returnless to return fuel rail adapter. Totally worth it for how easy it makes the fuel rail connection.

The Escape fuel rail is also a few inches too long to fit when using the Contour motor mount. I was able to trim the end and have the end cap welded back on to get it to fit properly, it has worked perfectly for two summers now. I also had to cut off the Contour injector plugs from the wiring harness and solder in the Escape injector connectors in order to use the 24 lb injectors that came with the engine. This was much more time consuming than I had thought it would be, but in the end it is very solid and has worked very well so far.

One thing that I am not too crazy about right now is my throttle body setup. Currently it’s a Taurus TB with a custom bracket. I had to cut into the UIM to make the cruise connect and I also tried to modify the TB wheel to make the SVT cable work properly so the gas pedal feels as close to normal as possible. If someone is interested I can explain in detail and post a pic of what I did here, but I think I’m going to change this before too long. It works, but I feel like it’s a little too rigged.

I kept the stock SVT cat-back exhaust and I am also running the stock intake.
The car was dyno tuned and made 195 whp.

Here is how the car sits now.

From MN C&C last summer.

And how it looks today.

Going forward I want to get some dents removed and hopefully get it into the best possible cosmetic condition I can.

Let me know what you think, I’m open to all comments. I can also post more pics in better detail if anyone wants to see anything else.

looks clean i like it.
do you want to drop that taurus tb and get a 65mm tb? i have a place that makes adapters for the taurus uim to accept a 65mm tb and have the iacv routed into the intake

looks clean i like it.
do you want to drop that taurus tb and get a 65mm tb? i have a place that makes adapters for the taurus uim to accept a 65mm tb and have the iacv routed into the intake

I'm not totally sure what to do with the tb yet but I have thought of trying out a 65mm one. I still have the escape tb and bracket but it's way different than the Taurus setup.

Finally! :cool: nice pics man!

Thanks! Yeah I'm a little late with the info, but better late than never right?

you have to redo the tb bracket anyways. i fabricated mine and it looks kinda ghetto. but once i went with my 65mm, that one opened the other way so i had to redo it. so i just had to cut off a few places and weld it back up to fit my current setup

The tb is something that I want to change. If there is a way to use the Escape bracket and tb I might go with that. At this point I don't know if that will work or not, I'll need to check out an Escape throttle and cruise cable to see if those will work too. Maybe if the 65mm tb pulls opposite of the Taurus tb then the Escape bracket could be used.

there are 65mm tbs that open both ways. u just gonna find the right one. i actually found the wrong one but just decided to make it work anyways

Nice pics!

there are 65mm tbs that open both ways. u just gonna find the right one. i actually found the wrong one but just decided to make it work anyways

BBK Throttle body for an F-150 will work nicely. Bolts on the same as the SVT, throttle body opens the same way and you can use your cruise control as well.

BBK Throttle body for an F-150 will work nicely. Bolts on the same as the SVT, throttle body opens the same way and you can use your cruise control as well.

except its like a 75mm.lol
maybe once i do everything i can out of my n/a 3l. this might help

Nice pics!

Thanks!

I did notice you picked one of those up so I'll be keeping an eye on your thread to see it installed. I think I would like to try and replace the accordion intake tube with something better, fab some type of shielded intake and then get a larger tb. That and the exhaust is what I'm thinking of doing when the car is down during the winter. Then maybe some tuning at DB would be in order in the spring.

With the exhaust I'm debating if I should just replace the stock resonator or the entire cat-back.

I'm a little embarrassed to say I have no idea what they even look like. I'll add some to the list, I have a feeling you might know where I can get them. :)

give svttour a pm, thats where I got mine, a HUGE improvment, and his shipping was really fast, got it a couple days sooner that I had thought ;) (thanks btw svttour)

*edit/ so yeah, now I notice that hes the one the brought it up............should read that a lil better, but yeah lol, thats where I got mine :crazy:

Thanks guys, cupholder is ordered. I can't believe the stock passenger cup holder was ever put in the car, totally worthless.

^ we can't believe you waited this long to buy an upgraded cup holder! :laugh:. You will simply be amazed :cool:.

No kidding. There's been a few close calls, almost lost a DQ Blizzard to the passenger side floor once.

For the throttle body/linkage issue here's what I did... 02ish Taurus throttle body, 02ish Taurus bracket (bolts directly to the tb so mounting is not an issue), 02ish Taurus throttle cable and 99-04 V6 mustang cruise cable. It all works and fits like factory and there's no cutting/hacking anything. The Taurus cable I got didn't have a rubber grommet for the firewall but you can either remove yours or get another cable off a Contour at the junkyard and swap it over.

Just an idea... :)

Back