• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rev limits

PDXSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Maybe ths belongs in the duratec tuning forum, but who's using what as their non-stock rev limits?

And is anyone using the ST220 valve springs, and if so, with what rev limits?

7200rpms is very safe. It's also what most people are going to with the SVT cams. The power of 7200rpms isn't worth the risk in my opinion. Rod bearings are what I'd be more worried about in the upper rpms, rather than valve springs.

Mark

I wasn't worried about the stock valve springs as much as wondering what these engines will take with stock and upgraded valve springs.

meanwhile, with the 2.5 block, I have NO intent to do anything close to 7300 revs while doing even a mild right turn.

Sometimes it not how high the RPM's will go but were the power drops off. My car makes power up to 6800 then starts to fall off so there is no point in going beond that point.

Sometimes it not how high the RPM's will go but were the power drops off. My car makes power up to 6800 then starts to fall off so there is no point in going beond that point.

I pray thats not with SVT Cams...

Mine kept pulling all the way to redline.. I didnt move it tho as with nitrous fuel starts to become a problem..

I pray thats not with SVT Cams...

Mine kept pulling all the way to redline..
His signature states a regular Duratec so that (6800rpm) sounds spot on for when the stock cams are declining rapidly.

The SVT cams will pull a fair bit past 7000rpm before they start dropping off and they trail off at a slower rate.

Last edited:

Not really... you stop when a shift at that point results in a new rpm value with less power than redline. With most engines and trannies, you keep revving well past max power to optimize the area under power curve, with endpoints defined by shift points. For a road course or autocross car, you want power and revs to extend out of that range as far as possible so that you can hold a gear for a little bit longer instead of shifting up, and have power down low so you can avoid an extra downshift that would put you high in the rev band.

Back