• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Restoring Horsepower?

You got it! That is exactly it.

For the three in the rear, you will need a long extension, and make sure you have a Spark plug removal socket (has a rubber ring inside that holds the spark plug in the socket so that it doesn't fall out and crack the porcelain, etc.)

I find the easiest way to get the socket/extension in the rear three banks is to place the extension/socket/plug in the bank on its own, then add the socket wrench after its in there. Be careful not to scratch or marr the walls while inserting the plugs as well (just go straight down...)

Make sure you GAP the plugs. "pre-gapped" on the spark plug box means NOTHING for this engine.'

You got it! That is exactly it.

For the three in the rear, you will need a long extension, and make sure you have a Spark plug removal socket (has a rubber ring inside that holds the spark plug in the socket so that it doesn't fall out and crack the porcelain, etc.)

I find the easiest way to get the socket/extension in the rear three banks is to place the extension/socket/plug in the bank on its own, then add the socket wrench after its in there. Be careful not to scratch or marr the walls while inserting the plugs as well (just go straight down...)

Make sure you GAP the plugs. "pre-gapped" on the spark plug box means NOTHING for this engine.'
Good advice. Gapping the plugs is pretty easy, just take your time and go slow (I actually broke one of the tips of one of mine and had to buy another at 10 bucks a go!!!!). Use a feeler gauge to measure the gap rather than the crappy tool they'll try and sell you although it is good to actually adjust the gap.
two other tips.
1. The socket extension (at least as long as in the how to) and spark plug socket are essential for doing this job.
2. Don't go easy on dielectric grease when putting the plug wires back on.

ok tel me how you get a better spark from a platinum plug than a copper plug when copper is a better conductor ?

also how does 87 octane burn just as well as 93 octane ? WTF

it burns cleaner, better combustion , internal combustion engine WTF

when i run 104 unleaded at the track the car is a rocket compaired to 93 octane at the pump.

beside how different is a base SE from an SVT 2.5 L ?

cams
compression ratio
different pistons
lighter flywheel
ported / honed intake manifold
cone filter
larger MAF
larger T/B

either way is still has the crappy crushed bend in the factory y pipe

granted you may not need to run premium fuel or copper plugs in a base SE but it will help

Last edited:
NOBODY mentioned "better" spark. They said platinum was SPEC.

The REASON everyone is saying that people should ignore your advice is starting to become more apparent with each post. Please stop placing words in people's mouths.

Platinum is spec because of the waste-spark ignition system in these cars. I refuse to write out why. If you truly care, research it, instead of just denying it simply on the basis that "you" don't think it makes sense.

ok tel me how you get a better spark from a platinum plug than a copper plug when copper is a better conductor ?

I never said better, I said it was spec for the engine ...

also how does 87 octane burn just as well as 93 octane ? WTF

I didn't say it burns as well as 93 ... I said it takes more to light off 93 and if the car isn't spec'd for it running the higher octane isn't needed ... as you said the SVT has high compression so it needs the higher octane to prevent detonation ...

it burns cleaner, better combustion , internal combustion engine WTF

what are you saying here, I can't figure it out ...

when i run 104 unleaded at the track the car is a rocket compaired to 93 octane at the pump.

got something like a time slip to prove that? again higher compression higher octane more power ...

beside how different is a base SE from an SVT 2.5 L ?

cams
compression ratio
different pistons
lighter flywheel
ported / honed intake manifold
cone filter
larger MAF
larger T/B

either way is still has the crappy crushed bend in the factory y pipe

granted you may not need to run premium fuel or copper plugs in a base SE but it will help

yeah those sound like the differences ... but the compression ratio make the difference in what gas you need ...

please visit How Stuff Works .com and do some reading :nonono:

... In March of 2006, I had a Fuel Injection and Air Induction Service performed on it ..
Most of the time, this means a new fuel filter, air filter and a "shot" of fuel injector cleaner through the intake manifold "holes" (which we call the "UIM - Cleaning intake manifold without removing them"; a how-to is also in our Duratec Maintenance FAQ-Read First).

Can Can Of Clearner Throught The Vaccume Port Only Help A Very Little Bit And Last Maybe A Week Or Two If That. You Must Take Them Apart To Clean Them Correctly

Autolite double plats, app764.

If you're doing the plugs/wires, why not tear down the entire manifolds and clean them by hand? Might as well kill two bird w/one stone. If you're not up to the work, pm somebody local. Buy them some beer, food and some side cash and I'm sure somebody out there would be willing to help. Plus, you can learn from them and it'll be considerably cheaper than taking the car in to a repair shop.

Autolite double plats, app764.

If you're doing the plugs/wires, why not tear down the entire manifolds and clean them by hand? Might as well kill two bird w/one stone. If you're not up to the work, pm somebody local. Buy them some beer, food and some side cash and I'm sure somebody out there would be willing to help. Plus, you can learn from them and it'll be considerably cheaper than taking the car in to a repair shop.

Just post this idea in your local thread at the bottom of our ceg website. Click on your city section. And start a new thread asking for help. Others will lend a hand.

Back