• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Resonator

contourgl95

CEG'er
Hey everyone,

What kind of sound can i get if i remove the stock resonator and replace it with something aftermarket? I like the sound of the SVT but i want it to be a little bit throatier without changing only the resonator???

Hey everyone,

What kind of sound can i get if i remove the stock resonator and replace it with something aftermarket? I like the sound of the SVT but i want it to be a little bit throatier without changing only the resonator???

Have you looked through the sound clips. I know its out dated...and many clips haven't been added but It's is a good start though.:cool:

i had my resonator cut out and put a cheerybomb glass pack in place of it. It isnt loud at all. Has some rasp when its cold, but when its warmed up its has a slight 350z/g35 hum to it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12616/?image=large
heres the one im getting after winter.......just a muffler in place of the res....and some trubendz exhaust tips
http://www.justmagnaflow.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=CARS11225
and here is what it will sound like hopefully a lil better
http://www.trubendz.com/sounds/magnaflow.wmv

Thats the sound im looking for.. deep growl, and like you im putting a magnaflow muffler instead of the resonator.. if you get it before me please post a video for suress

Thats the sound im looking for.. deep growl, and like you im putting a magnaflow muffler instead of the resonator.. if you get it before me please post a video for suress

replacing your resonator wont give you a deep growl, in fact it wont change the sound very much at all. If you want a deeper sound you will also need to replace your muffler with some kinda aftermarket muffler as well, possibly put a larger tip on too.

no.

that is an unresonated trubendz catback.

Basically, it is 2.5" mandrel bent pipe all the way back. a magnaflow muffler in place of the resonator. No rear mufflers, just tips

I think your right it looks like it starts right after the y in the piping :shrug: any Idea where i can get that? The exhaust shop I go to just does the work and charge me $30 for everything but basically have no parts other that a few pipes.....:help:

trubendz.com for the catback. That would include the resonator and all the pipe from your catalytic converter and flexpipe back.

Though you could just ask the guys at your exhaust shop to cut off the rear muffler, and put some long tips on it. You wont have the same diameter pipe, or the mandrel bends, but in effect you would have something very similar.

Also if the exhaust shop you are going to is a Goerlich dealer, you can ask them about Xcelerator mufflers. They are basically a flow through design much like the magnaflows, but then you would have something that they could get right there, and you wouldnt have to deal with ordering online or shipping or anything.

That's what i was thinking of doing, just replace the resonator with that magnaflow I posted, and get the mufflers cut off and just have some 3" or 3 1/2 inch tips welded on......? I think the tips i was looking at were like 18 long....that good enough?

replacing your resonator wont give you a deep growl, in fact it wont change the sound very much at all. If you want a deeper sound you will also need to replace your muffler with some kinda aftermarket muffler as well, possibly put a larger tip on too.

I do agree with you... On some applications it has shown little to no difference. In some cases about 30% of cases it has increased exhaust tone..deeper at idle...but louder later on.. Remember pcm, motor..and performance parts all play a role here. :cool:

Expecting a world of a change when just removing the resonator...is asking for a lot. Work with other components of the exhaust and you will find what your looking for.

Back