• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

resonator or striaght pipe?

silver rocket

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok so i went up to my muffler shop today and asked about the prices for wacking off my stock res and putting a new one on. He said that a resonator would silence my exhaust? From what i have heard resonators give you that kinda throaty raspy sound. So what i would like to know is do they silence your sound? And if they do then how much? I would get a magnaflow series.
Also if would like to know if any one has a borla muffler just chillin around that they want to get rid of. I would be interested to purchase it.

Ok so i went up to my muffler shop today and asked about the prices for wacking off my stock res and putting a new one on. He said that a resonator would silence my exhaust? From what i have heard resonators give you that kinda throaty raspy sound. So what i would like to know is do they silence your sound? And if they do then how much? I would get a magnaflow series.
Also if would like to know if any one has a borla muffler just chillin around that they want to get rid of. I would be interested to purchase it.

Replacing the stock resonator with a magnaflow will increase sound!! More throaty and deep sound...with a high chance of drone inside the car. While eliminating rasp.

Of course adding a resonator will reduce sound...it's supposed to resonator exhaust pulses inside causing the tone to change...and free up flow.

No i am not adding one i would be replacing the OEM. With a magnaflow 10435 or what ever the 22inch 2.25 thingy would that one make it meaner sounding? and any sellers on borla??

Oh and sorry i did not see the other thread asking the same thing

No i am not adding one i would be replacing the OEM.

Um...are you drunk?? :help:

Replacing the stock resonator with a magnaflow will increase sound!! More throaty and deep sound...with a high chance of drone inside the car. While eliminating rasp.

Yes there are tons of these threads...one day....all these will be sorted and stickied....:blackeye:

Of course adding a resonator will reduce sound...it's supposed to resonator exhaust pulses inside causing the tone to change...and free up flow.

That's what i don't get? You said adding one will increase and then stated it will reduce it:shrug: Talk about confusing.

That's what i don't get? You said adding one will increase and then stated it will reduce it:shrug: Talk about confusing.
no, he said replacing the stock one will increase sound. adding a resonator to a system that doesnt have one will decrease sound. :troutslap:

no, he said replacing the stock one will increase sound. adding a resonator to a system that doesnt have one will decrease sound. :troutslap:

God i bet i sounded like a :censored: lol woops....:rolleyes: i am stupid but can't help it:shrug:. Alrighty then i guess i have what i needed. resonator here i come i suppose.

God i bet i sounded like a :censored: lol woops....:rolleyes: i am stupid but can't help it:shrug:. Alrighty then i guess i have what i needed. resonator here i come i suppose.

I should have worded it differently after you didn't understand me the first time.
Just sometimes...my patience isn't always there. :crazy:

Im curious as well. I will do a search and grab a part number. I have MSDS headers and y-pipe. It sound good, but i want just a touch more throaty. i will submit a sound clip as is so i can do a before and after.

don't spend money on adding pieces to your exhaust when in the end it just gonna be a hacked up stock exhaust with too-small piping. save up for a whole catback at least.

don't spend money on adding pieces to your exhaust when in the end it just gonna be a hacked up stock exhaust with too-small piping. save up for a whole catback at least.

True, i will get the true bendz and delete the main cat.

Don't hope for a shop to remove your cat.. or even touch your exhaust without one.

I just installed a Thrush Glasspack instead of my OEM res. Yeah, it sounds nice and definitely a lot deeper. Beware of the drone though.

Don't hope for a shop to remove your cat.. or even touch your exhaust without one.
Um..he mentioned he is ordering the part..not have a shop remove it. :shrug:
True, i will get the true bendz and delete the main cat.

I just installed a Thrush Glasspack instead of my OEM res. Yeah, it sounds nice and definitely a lot deeper. Beware of the drone though.
Thats your problem...you installed a cheap resonator off a walmart/target shelf.

Order a real resonator and the problem of drone will be solved.

just because glasspacks are cheap doesn't mean they don't sound good to some people. i replaced my stock res with one and there's no drone and has a nice smooth tone that's deeper than stock. being cheap is just a plus.

just because glasspacks are cheap doesn't mean they don't sound good to some people. i replaced my stock res with one and there's no drone and has a nice smooth tone that's deeper than stock. being cheap is just a plus.
I never said they don't sound good..:shrug:

But..i can't stand when people buy cheap stuff and then complain about it :nonono:

I had a magnaflow #10435 on my car, but to be honest, the drone on the cabin was loud, even out of the car, so two weeks later I took it off.

everybody says borla are louder than magnaflow, I don't really recomend you do that.

I'm doing the same research, I just want to increase my svt muffler sound without get a ticket. In this county where do I live, the cops stop you just for have a chrome tip.

I had a magnaflow #10435 on my car, but to be honest, the drone on the cabin was loud, even out of the car, so two weeks later I took it off.

everybody says borla are louder than magnaflow, I don't really recomend you do that.

I'm doing the same research, I just want to increase my svt muffler sound without get a ticket. In this county where do I live, the cops stop you just for have a chrome tip.

Well borla's lineup is mostly quieter then there competitors. But i would recommend a borla in place of the resonator then anything else. Yet again...it matters what two products your comparing my good juank?

Well borla's lineup is mostly quieter then there competitors. But i would recommend a borla in place of the resonator then anything else. Yet again...it matters what two products your comparing my good juank?
don't really matter, borla and magnaflow are great products. I just had some experience with magnaflow. Peace

Um..he mentioned he is ordering the part..not have a shop remove it. :shrug:

Thats your problem...you installed a cheap resonator off a walmart/target shelf.

Order a real resonator and the problem of drone will be solved.

So where might one buy a "real" resonator? I did some research and found this one from Flowmaster/Hushpower. Not sure about their technology, but the design/shape looks perfect! Also there's one from Vibrant but I'm not sure if it sounds good? It's a small bullet style.

-Nick

Back