• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing sound system

ContourGuy93

New CEG'er
I am about to replace the stereo and possibly speakers in my contour. I am looking at a Sony xplod cdx-gt35uw receiver with 52 x 4W max power, and 4 6x9 Sony Xplod xs-r694 speakers with power handling capacity of 300W. I am not much on car audio, and am looking for advice. Will these install/work without any extra modification (amps, etc)? If I decide against the speakers, will the factory ones work with the receiver?

to install speakers that don't require modification, you need 6X8s. Pioneer makes some that are around the same price/quality as those Sony speakers that you can get at walmart or wherever... The head unit will install without any modification unless you have premium sound, though you will need a wire harness adapter. If you have premium sound, you will also need an amp bypass harness. There is an audio subforum on this forum, all of your questions and more are answered there, and the members that frequent it LOVE answering these types of questions. They LIVE to answer these questions.....

ok, well maybe not. Search and you will find all the answers you need.

Thanks man, like i said, not experienced with car audio. i might just go with the head unit for now, the factory speakers will do alright.

Thanks man, like i said, not experienced with car audio. i might just go with the head unit for now, the factory speakers will do alright.

Dude factory speakers are junk, any aftermarket speaker is probably better then the factory ones lol. And fyi sony stuff is pretty much junk compared to say pioneer, alpine, eclipse. I would get something like one of those brands mentioned with some nice 6x8 speakers.

You will be disappointed putting a super awsome head unit in and playing it through the factory speakers. Even a cheap set will likely sound better than the factory units

I just installed the Sony Xplod head unit, and i have to say, im quite pleased even with the factory speakers. I might eventually swap them out, but for now this will be fine.

im telling you factory speakers are crap, if you crank them up they will distort and break, and they have no bass. I had a sony xplode cd player years ago and it sucked, the knob kept sticking and it would cut out now and then.

I dont plan on cranking it up to ungodly volumes. The factory speakers work fine for me, and they play loud enough for my tastes.

Back