• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

removing McGard (Ford) wheel locks with no key

amc49

Hard-core CEG'er
Don't know if anyone ever had this problem, it could only happen to me. Had Ford McGard wheel locks on my Contour, went to remove fronts for brakes. First lock key cracked without breaking lock loose, then second wheel key broke entirely, deforming it so could not tell pattern. Drove around trying to find a match since card lost with the code on it. Now how to remove the freaking wheels?? I went to hardware store and bought 3/4" outside nut, which just matched OD of the lock. Glued it to end of lock with yellow 3M Superweatherstrip Adhesive. Used a Dremel with a long thin chainsaw sharpening rock. Lying down by car, used the side profile of the 3/4" nut to cut flats on the round lock to match the nut. 6 flats and 10 minutes later, used a 3/4" lug wrench to pop off the lock. Much easier than I thought, did all 4 wheels in about 45 minutes.

That Sears tool would not have worked. No room around the lock to get it in. Barely could get Dremel chainsaw rock in. Also, lock perfectly round, no flats to grab onto.

No way would that work, lock harder than hell, no socket would ever "grab" it. Obviously you haven't worked with one. Just as obvious was that I care, wheels had to come off for brake repair. What an answer.

No way would that work, lock harder than hell, no socket would ever "grab" it. Obviously you haven't worked with one. Just as obvious was that I care, wheels had to come off for brake repair. What an answer.
Actually you can do it. I worked at goodyear and we had to do it all the time. There are no flat spots, you're right, that's why you gotta hammer a socket on to it. It doesn't have anything else to do but grab it because you forced the socket on to it. If it slips, find a different socket.

It will always work. As mentioned just tap it on and take it off. Worry about getting the locking lug out later if needed.

Maybe. I had no welder nor access to one. No SnapOn man anywhere close either. How much is that tool, $30? I spent maybe $0.30. Didn't have to break any sockets either (sockets that I, not the shop, would have to replace). I put the wheels on tight enough to not fall off. Supposed to be around 75 ft.lbs.? It's obvious that the amount of key engagement in that part will not take that forever. Planned obsolescence, or make sure you buy the extra key tool to keep them in business forever. I wondered more than once how long they would last. I only used them because got them free with car, I would NEVER pay for them...... Worry about getting the locking lug out later??? What the h___ does that mean? If I just tap it on and take it off, it's ALREADY OFF. Again I say, WHAT AN ANSWER.

Worry about getting the locking lug out later??? What the h___ does that mean? If I just tap it on and take it off, it's ALREADY OFF. Again I say, WHAT AN ANSWER.

It means exactly what it says. You want the wheel off, so take the wheel off. Then later if you want to have the locking lug back or use the cheap socket again you can wiggle them apart. Why are you having problems with understanding that?

Well, if I had to remove it with a socket driven on, I can't imagine how I would want to use it (or probably the socket) again, making the point moot. It will be ruined as will socket since I had lock tight as proper. If you read the rest of post you would realize that I pulled off the locks by converting them to hex sided like a lugnut, I could have kept them and reused by using 3/4" lug wrench. They were in OK shape, but I was mad and tossed them as I had the standard factory lugs to replace them with.

Since we are in this thread because it was bumped..... You can remove mcguard lug nuts with a 13/16 socket. I have done it twice. Hammer that ••••• on trying not to mess up the hole the socket wrench goes into. You only get one chance with each socket ;). I even kept the lug with the socket whammered onto it.

Back