• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Hard Brake Lines

XR4Tim

CEG'er
Are these lines available pre-bent? I have a rust issue, resulting in a leak, and I'd really rather not bend/flare my own lines. If they're available new and pre-bent. I'd rather just swap them out then spend the time making my own. The fuel tank is coming out anyway (for another issue), so I don't think it's going to be a huge deal to pull the whole line out.

A local shop spliced new lines 1/2 way under the car all the way to the rear calipers for only $150. Something to consider.

It would probably be more effort for me to put the car back together and tow it to a shop than to make my own lines. Maybe I'm just lazy.

Ah, I see. If the car's all apart then just try it yourself. My car was still on the road so I limped it to the shop using the ebrake and clutching the least amount I could.

What lines are you looking for? Do you need all four rear lines from the ABS module back to the caliper hose? Or just the back two short lines? Since I have the setup I could bend you the lines, but it would be a huge box to ship them. You don't want to splice brake lines with a compression union either BTW.

The on that's actually leaking is on the passenger's side, just ahead of the union above the gas tank, but both rear lines are also very rusty, and I'm positive that the union would not survive being separated, so I'm probably going to be looking at all 4. I was planning on splicing the lines about midway under the vehicle (where they aren't rusty). I have a flaring tool and a tubing cutter, but no longer have the reamer or the tubing bender (not that they're too expensive to acquire). If you have all of the measurements, it would certainly be easier to just replace them than for me to worry about bending them myself.

I didn't take measurements. To replicate the lines I just used the old ones and bent the new ones to mirror that of the old ones.

If you have the tools to bend and flare lines then I would just remove your lines and bend new ones to replace them. It'll be a little difficult to do with the engine/trans in the car, but it wouldn't be impossible. Only parts you should have to remove is the fuel tank and rear subframe/suspension. If you disconnect the park brake cables then it would be 2 bolts per strut and 4 bolts for the rear subframe, and done.

Last edited:
Back