• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear door stuck locked, cannot open. Child Locks on.. help!

XT_

CEG'er
Hi all,

My rear passenger side door decided to break today in the locked position WITH the child locks on.. :( Looks like the linkage feel off inside the door from what I can see. Has anybody had this problem, and if so, how the heck did you get the interior panel off without having the door open? Is there another way to get the panle off or get the door to open. I wouldnt even care, but recently my kids having been riding in the backseat, and If there was a emergency, I need that door to open.

Thanks so much!

I'm wondering the same thing.

I recently replaced my rear door with one from a junkyard and its stuck locked. The mechanisms in the door were rusted out..

I don't know what I'm going to do to get it back off...

I know mine do that from time to time. I am usually able to force it unlockeed by pushing on the lock tab on the stuck door while unlocking the door with the front switches. with the door lock motor running and pushing on the lock tab on the stuck door I can force it to catch and unlock.

Wow drivebymashing has the same problem on his car right now too. or it wont open at least from inside or out

Thanks for all the advice , guys :) Gonna try that pushing againt the lock thing, but I dont think it will work as I have the child safety locks on...

I might just have to cut the interior panel off, because I dont know how to take the door off with it still latched to the closing mechanism..

be kinda hard to take door off with still latched lol. what i ve done in past (not on contour but older cars) is take a long screw drive (about 2 feet long), roll window all the way down and hit the release mechanism with screw driver to unlatch it.

Update: We got the door open. We had to break the panel off and open the latch from inside the door. The outside handle mechanism fell off. Kinda hard to explain, but a little epoxy seems to have solved the problem for now. With the exception of some snapped plastic inside the door, and 2 tiny pieces of the bottom panel missing, all seems to be well. The plastic snapped right near the few screws we could not get out of the panel.

The inside handle worked right away once the child lock was turned off, had the child lock not been on, this would of been a easy fix, and nothing would of got broken or snapped..

Back