• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rear caliper bracket removal

GregCarter

New CEG'er
Can anyone confirm the torx size for the rear caliper bracket, is it a T-50? I need to replace the rotors (as well as one wheel bearing) on my '98 SVT. I really don't understand why a hex head bolt can't be used here. These Torx bolts strip so easy...

Anyway mine are good and rusted on so before I screw up the head with the wrong fitting, I figured I'd check here.

Thanks.
Greg.

Been so long since I did rears. I just grab the size out of the tool box that fits. If you have trouble a hammer punch works wonders. Hit the back side of the punch with a hammer and the punch rotates.

Honestly I think I remember someone saying it was a 47 but if its been removed before it my be a little stripped to where a 50 would work better.

Go to the hardware store and get some grade 8 or better bolts to replace those POS torx bolts.

Can anyone confirm the torx size for the rear caliper bracket, is it a T-50? I need to replace the rotors (as well as one wheel bearing) on my '98 SVT. I really don't understand why a hex head bolt can't be used here. These Torx bolts strip so easy...

Anyway mine are good and rusted on so before I screw up the head with the wrong fitting, I figured I'd check here.

Thanks.
Greg.

I am having a similar PITA moment on my Cougar's driver side rear caliper. There's a how-to on TeamNECO that indicates the bolt is a T-50. No mention of bolt size on the Ford Service CD. I posted on NECO to get some advice, and a couple of guys on there indicated the bolt was a T-47. I used the T-50, so I don't know if it's the wrong size Torx bit, or just an over torqued bolt from the when dealer replaced that caliper a few years ago (and forgot to replace the e-brake spring).

I was planning on replacing the entire caliper, so I don't mind trashing the bolt - will probably just Dremel some flats on it to use an open end wrench. The Torx bit is a PITA to keep centered while applying torque since you're working on the back side of the caliper.

Good luck!

Would love to know the length and thread pitch to replace those with hex heads.

I do not have a second vehicle, a torch, or PB Blaster(I called some friends in the next town and they recommended it too). I have some liquid wrench or something by Gunk. I sprayed the heck out of it with it. Any other tips? I am going to take a break before I throw something and my son learns new words.

My left rear caliper has T47. But I cannot get the darn things to budge. Any tips or tricks?

it is t50, if it isnt fitting then you got to much crap inside of the end of the bolt, which is common. t47 is very close in size to t50, but dont use it as you can easily strip out the bolt. Use some wd-40, JB-80, pb blaster, liquid wrench, or whatever makes you happy. It will come, you just have to work on it. Sometimes they are really sticky. Sometimes the best thing to do is to spray it with wd-40 and let it sit and soak for a while, then come back later.

As far as replacing the bolts goes.... if anyone is stripping them out, they are doing it wrong. It isnt hard to keep a torx bit inside of a torx head bolt if you are using the right sized bit. I almost NEVER strip bolts, whether they are torx, hex, or external torx. I have broken more studs and bolts than I have stripped bolts.

A guy checking cars in our parking lot had some PB spray. Worked like a charm on the passenger side rear. The drivers side still will not budge. You were right about the T50 being the stock size. But the T47 was what got it going.

Back