• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

questions about stazi turbo car

svt4stv

Hard-core CEG'er
hey all,
i bought stazi's old turbo car off ryanblacksvt a couple of years ago. as you may recall, the clutch went out 2 days after i bought it. well, the car has been sitting ever since. worlds longest clutch job! :blackeye: my good friend john accepted the challenge but i think it was more than he was prepared for. half the front end had to come apart just to get to the clutch thanks to all the turbo piping.

its been a LONG and ardous process. the clutch has been back in for a while now. the trick has been putting everything back together. he's down to the last few pieces here and is stuck. hopefully someone here has the same kit or can at least chime in with some helpful input so this car can be fired up again finally.

he just registered and will chime in shortly as "johntheSHOguy". for now, ill post his email he sent me and the pic that accompanied it.

**************************************************************************************

In the attached photo, you see the assembled silicone hoses and piping for what I believe is the passage from the air filter/maf to the turbo inlet. The left end has a 90 degree elbow silicone hose. The silicone elbow that I have is a different size on each end. One is about 3" diameter and the other end is about 2.5" diameter. The 2.5" diameter will not fit the inlet flange on the turbo, the 90 degree metal elbow, or the metal pipe with SPEC decal. Is the silicone elbow for the turbo kit supposed to have different size ends? Is the tubing configuration, from turbo inlet to maf, the following sequence of pieces: 90 degree silicone elbow to 90 degree metal elbow to short straight silicone hose to metal pipe with SPEC decal?

IMG_1509.jpg

I can't really help you with this, but I had to ask WHY did you guys let this sit soooooo long? I hope it fires right up for you when it's all back together. Yikes man :nonono:.

I believe you are correct. The silicone piece should go to the inlet to the turbo and the other end should have another silicone coupler and connect with the MAF. I think there are some other pictures of that car floating around here, maybe you could look through those to see how all the piping was routed. Is that the only piece that is left?

I can't really help you with this, but I had to ask WHY did you guys let this sit soooooo long? I hope it fires right up for you when it's all back together. Yikes man :nonono:.

i didnt want it to believe me. i dont even know how it got to be 2 years already :blackeye::nonono:

this is pretty much all that is left except for a few little connections here and there. john isnt able to get the silicone hose ON the turbo iirc. hopefully he'll actually get in here and start posting.

i have a few pics from before he started taking it apart.

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

Its quite obvious from those pictures that he has that tube assembled wrong in the picture he supplied.
The blue 90* coupler doesnt go directly on the tube with the SPEC sticker on it.

Looks like the SPEC tube hooks to a coupler at the turbo, small coupler, aluminum 90*, that goes through the fender, then the big blue 90* coupler goes on that, to go to the intercooler.

Its quite obvious from those pictures that he has that tube assembled wrong in the picture he supplied.
The blue 90* coupler doesnt go directly on the tube with the SPEC sticker on it.

Looks like the SPEC tube hooks to a coupler at the turbo, small coupler, aluminum 90*, that goes through the fender, then the big blue 90* coupler goes on that, to go to the intercooler.

actually that pic was taken at the same time as the other pics, when the parts were being pulled off the car. so that part right there is exactly how it was when it was disconnected.

was it pipe held to the turbo with a clamp or was it just a slip on? if it's a slip on then it would be a little smaller then the turbo inlet and all you have to do is squeeze it on.

What size is the turbo inlet? 4" I believe. I would say buy new couplers that fit better, if necessary.

That 90* blue does not appear to be able to be stretched to fit.

was it pipe held to the turbo with a clamp or was it just a slip on? if it's a slip on then it would be a little smaller then the turbo inlet and all you have to do is squeeze it on.

you got it.

john told me to come over and look at it to see what i was talking about. i gave it a try and noticed it was a lot closer than what he was saying. i told him the motor mount was in the way and if he removed it would be a LOT easier. after convincing him to try it, with some silicon spray, he muscled the damn thing right on :rolleyes:

so now there are just a few more connections to connect back up. put the exhaust back together and it should be ready to fire up!

Back