• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Questions about Escape 3Ls....

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
I know I can put a taurus long block into my '03 3L Escape and just swap over all the other parts from my original Escape 3L.

BUT

There is a local guy with a '05 Escape 3L for a decent price and low miles.

When I search for '03 Escape 3L engines (VIN 1, 8th digit) it only finds them from '01-'04, and when I look at '05 Escape 3L engines (VIN 1, 8th digit), (WP driven by int cam) it only lists '05-'06.

Can anyone elaborate on the "WP driven by int cam" ?

what do you need elaboration on? WP driven by int cam... means waterpump driven by intake cam..... there should be no difference.

Elaboration on '01-'04 vs '05-'06, and why they even mention "WP driven by int cam" for the '05-''06 when all the '01-'06 are driven that way :confused: :shrug:?

Is there a timing cover/pan/valve cover difference?

Thanks BOIE!

So if I got the local '05 3L then I still have to swap the timing covers at least :ponder: right?

if you were getting a taurus 3L forthe escape yea you need to swap timing covers.

Heads added another bolt hole for the valve covers on the 07+ as well. I swapped one into a SVT a while back. It can be done but I'd avoid them for ported builds. A full 3L swap would be easier with those. The 2.5L intake won't clear the valve covers so I had to have the covers cut down and welded back up. Not fun.

if you were getting a taurus 3L forthe escape yea you need to swap timing covers.

^ I know the parts I need to change from a Taurus 3L to make it work in the Escape but I want to avoid gasket costs, engine prep time. The question "if I got the local '05 3L then I still have to swap the timing covers at least right?" was refering to the Escape motor only.

I bought an 05 Escape engine for my build, I had a bunch of threads about it. I ended up using my SVT timing cover on it. That was the only thing I swapped out. I had even initially tried to use the Escape timing cover, but the alternator bracket wouldn't work with it. There are a ton of pics in my build thread and in a couple of threads in the 3L forum as well.

^ thanks Mike - I actually remember seeing some pictures but couldn't think where I saw them. I will sift through your thread again for pics.

Right now I will just be getting a '04-'05 Taurus motor with 68k miles and swapping over the escape parts and new gaskets. The guy with the escape motor won't budge on his $750 price. It has 41k miles on it.

Back