• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question for the Brits

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
OK Guys..
I asked this in General Discussions, but it was advised that I ask it here.

For the Mondeo's that are similar to our Contours (1999, 2000)... what is the difference between an ST24 and an ST200 ?

Thanks !!

There is a lot of subtle trim differences etc amd with the ST200 they brought out a limited edition.

However the main difference is the performance, the st200 puts out close to 200 bhp as the name suggest.

The other technical bits others will add to the post i am sure.

The ST200 now commands a far better second hand price however, in my opinion, too much so i believe. You can get a really good second hand st24 for very little now and that is a far better buy.

To make it a little more clear...

The ST24 was just a V6 car with styling/handling parts and no engine performance parts?

While the ST200 is a brother-from-another-mother to the SVT Contour in that they have an identical drivetrain, but are more higher end cars with the features they came with.

Thats about it in reality.
An ST24 is nothing more than a bog standard V6 with the RSAP bodykit and some detail changes (less is more) to the interior - half leather seats, etc - and more sporty suspension. Diff alloys and things.

The ST200 is an ST24 with better levels of trim (recaro seats for instance) and an uprated V6 with 200bhp. The suspension is the same between the 2 I think, but the ST200 has some stunning 17" 15 spoke wheels as standard.

For purists, the ST200 is the sporty one with the ST24 being a marketing ploy to make the standard V6 sporty.

However, many an ST24 owner will argue with that, saying that the ST24 was the "first" ST and they certainly have a point with that.

However, the 200 commands better prices because there is less of them and they are faster and better equipped.

I would happily own either.

The suspension did have differences as well, the shox and springs had different part numbers and most early owners commented on the fact that the suspension was a fair bit harsher and stiffer on the 200. It also has different LSA's that improve lateral stiffness.

ST200`s came in one colour - imperial blue UNLESS you had an ex Police car.
Specific gear knob and instrument cluster,auto climate and full leather on later models.
Completely different front suspension arms and as already stated unique 17` alloys(same as diamond cut Contour ones) upgraded alarm system and higher ps rated engine (205ps).
Twin exit exhaust and on the limited saloons inlaid blue interior features.

Completely different front suspension arms

Just a note that the ST200 front suspesion arms are identical to the 4-bolt SVT arms, which are also identical to all early (up to sometime in 98) Contour/Mystiques.

My SVT is currently wearing an ST200 right lower control arm (Querlinker or whatever it's called in German). Has the same part number stamped in it as the one I pulled off the SVT.

Just a note that the ST200 front suspesion arms are identical to the 4-bolt SVT arms, which are also identical to all early (up to sometime in 98) Contour/Mystiques.

My SVT is currently wearing an ST200 right lower control arm (Querlinker or whatever it's called in German). Has the same part number stamped in it as the one I pulled off the SVT.

Just wondering what you pay for them as its a bone of contention in the UK having to buy them from Fraud Stealers at over £150 a side.

Just wondering what you pay for them as its a bone of contention in the UK having to buy them from Fraud Stealers at over £150 a side.
That's a damn good question:)..... Surely you SVT guys don't pay $300+ a side too :shrug:

Looking on teamfordparts.com (CEG guy works there), Ford asks $159 for the right and $185 for the left.

I paid 254€ for one that was specified for a 99+ ST200 from a local Ford dealer.

Looking on teamfordparts.com (CEG guy works there), Ford asks $159 for the right and $185 for the left.

I paid 254€ for one that was specified for a 99+ ST200 from a local Ford dealer.
I`m hoping that is dollars as that would be an extremely good price given the current favourable exchange rate.
The onlydown side would be transportation costs from the States.

Just tried the part numbers on that website for our lower arms (1130576,1130577) and their not recognised!:cry:

Back to the local Fraud Stealer for me I thinks!:mad:

Just tried the part numbers on that website for our lower arms (1130576,1130577) and their not recognised!:cry:

Back to the local Fraud Stealer for me I thinks!:mad:

Here's a couple of pics when I picked up that ST200 arm:

lca.jpg

lca_tag.jpg

Identical part, right down to the numbers stamped into the metal at the factory. Since the FINIS number is the same as what you described, I'll assume the same part has a different part number in the US... but I guarantee the 1130576 is identical to a US Contour part since I currently have this ST200 arm on my Contour.

Last edited:
It's not on there ;)

I bought the part in Germany (which explains the German part name), but I'll search around on here and see if I can find it...

Here they are:

F5RZ3078B - Right side - Ford price $159

F5RZ3079B - Left side - Ford price $185

These are for the 4 bolt control arms, which are identical to the ST200 parts.

There are options again on getting parts... For factory Ford parts, type in "ford parts" in the US Google and go to any random dealer. Most people on here use Bill Jenkins at www.teamfordparts.com or www.fordpartsonline.com (bit cheaper) or Steve @ Tousley Ford (search on here for his contact info, no online ordering). I'd contact any of these people to make sure they will ship to you. These guys may also be able to translate the FINIS number into the US part numbers (or even your local Ford dealer might be able to...)

Also you can try aftermarket, like www.rockauto.com which lists the 4 bolt control arms at $85 and $92 each. Choose any 1995-1997 Contour, they're the same part as the ST200. Sometime in 1998 or so they switched all the Contours over to the 2 bolt arms, so make sure you see a picture before ordering! You can try www.batinc.net as well, but you'll have to call them.

Last edited:
Back