• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about Header Coatings

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
I am going to be buying HEADERS. Whether they be WR or MSDS for my SVT I am looking into coatings for the headers.

MSDS is giving me a 3-5 week wait for headers with a ceramic coating:help:.
and i still hear of them getting rusty!

I cant wait long, so my question is......

Will a couple layers of DUPLICOLOR HIGH HEAT with CERAMIC be a decent choice for speed as well as price saving towards the swap and other expenses???????

- amyn

WR headers are no longer made. if you get a used set you will not need any coating as they are stainless steel. MSDS do need a coating as they are raw steel. one of the best choices is "Jet Hot" coating. duplicolors high temp paint will not last near as long and you will end up rusting anyway with that.
I'm sure the ceramic coating will last longer then duplicolors paint as well.

i would recommend going through http://www.nautilusperformance.com/catalog/i11.html for MSDS. thats two CEG'ers web site. they offer a coating for $35 i believe.

Last edited:
I saw Nautilus' header coating for much cheaper I may just go with that.

If prepped properly why wouldnt a duplicolor coating last long when it says it withstands up to 1200* I believe.......

I dont understand the difference of all Ceramic coatings?????

Which ever one I can get my hands on I would be happy with.

- amyn

The stuff Joey sprays the headers with comes out of a can - I dont think it is worth it. MSDS offers an Extreme ceramic coating option - I went with that, haven't received them yet, but I'll take some pix when I do.

The stuff Joey sprays the headers with comes out of a can - I dont think it is worth it. MSDS offers an Extreme ceramic coating option - I went with that, haven't received them yet, but I'll take some pix when I do.

really? i did not know this. thanks for the info.

I wasnt sure about that as well....

I believe Im going to end up going the cheap route and do the Duplicolor as I am low on cash for the build or at least want to get it going(unless i get the WRs)

By the way when the WR headers were being made how much did they sell for?

- amyn

I know the "high heat" paint burned off my brothers headers in about a week. The ceramic coating will make them last a lot longer, IMO, it's worth every cent. I don't want to do another header install if I don't need to.

these are my MSDS CERAMIC COATED HEADERS they look the nutz

Attachments

• small fiesta exhaust 001.jpg
    small fiesta exhaust 001.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
I may just look into the WR headers.....

- amyn

You mean aside from the fact that they are no longer in production?

Anyway, Jet Hot coatings are pretty common, and decent enough, but supposedly the best coating around is from www.swaintech.com I've never used them, but have gotten rave reviews from a number of my racer buddies.

I picked up my WR headers and y-pipe brand new for $440 when the last kits were being sold off. They are SS so I didn't bother with any coating.

The headers are not installed yet, but my y-pipe is and it still looks perfect.

Finding WR parts will be hard so don't go crazy trying to do so.

I know its going to be hard. I even called WR just to make sure they were out of production!

But they said that they are currently pending to get more, but i have to wait till the upcoming spring 08!

They werent 100% sure that they were going to get them or not but they said Spring 08 its a possibility it may be available in the new catalog they are working on.(for future reference)
:shrug:

I need it sooner and i thought they were discontinued completely.

- amyn

They have been saying the same thing last year for Spring 07. Don't get your hope high. I was waiting on that one so I waited through 2 MSDS sales. I finally grabbed a set by the end of September.

Also jethot has a wide variety of coatings. From what i've read their good race caliber stuff is great... the lower end stuff that most people get is crap.

That being said... my headers are swaintech coated.

Just so you know the swaintech coating isn't exactly pretty, it's a thick, rough, semi sparkly white color. Doesn't look bad, but if looks are your thing you probably won't like it.

One more thing, the swaintech coating will probably run you $200+. If you call and show them pics of a duratec header they'll give you a close price estimate.

I found some good rattle can stuff that didn't burn off of my downpipe on my CSVT. It was even 304L stainless steel, and I still coated it. It was available in black or silver, and it's good up to about 2000*. A good test was having a clogged cat, which made my headers, crossover pipe and down pipe glowing red and the DP didn't flake off the paint. The MSDS coating on the headers did haze to a solid white from that issue.

I still have a can of it somewhere, I'll look for it and tell you what exactly I actually used.

Thats swazo, I know there is some brush on stuff. Its has some type of stainless steel somewhere in there and it is nice good... But its expensive for the can. I will see wut it is to.

- amyn

Back