• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about brake cylinder repair...

davppp999

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hello everyone, I was hoping you could help me out. I have my a 98 Contour Se, 2.5 duratec v6, auto, 107,000 miles. The car is at a shop right now replacing the water pump. They just called me, and said that I'm leaking brake fluid from one of the rear brake cylinders and that it needs replacing. I've never noticed any problems with the brakes, the light never has come on, etc. Reading on the forums, it seems this is a fairly common problem.

However, I balked at the cost of the repair - $400. I was under the impression that a new cylinder is roughly $40, and not that difficult to replace. I live in an apartment and have no way to do anything myself (I just moved away from all my friends with garages). Is this a reasonable cost for this repair? What should this cost? Should I keep shopping around, or just go ahead with it?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

WAY TOO MUCH!

And you can do the cylinders yourself, even if you do in a parts store parking lot or somewhere else that doesn't care. You will need somebody else to help you bleed the brakes. Do both cylinders at the same time or your brake balance will be off. I did just the left side and if I stab the brakes it'll usually kick the rear out in that direction. Fun but not always safe. And the cylinders are about $20 each.

Back