• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre-98 Console removal.

E0GLSport

CEG'er
Hello everyone, I can't post anywhere else yet so I thought I'd ask here...... I've searched around, and have seen people install pre-98 center consoles in their post-98's, but when I try to pull one from an auto dismantler, I can't seem to figure out how to remove it.....and I can't find a complete write-up..... I know the screws it the side, in the storage compartment, and under the little blank panel above the other din sized opening, but I can't figure out how to get it over the e-brake handle, and I can't figure out how to get the e-brake handle or shift knob off. Please help!

The shift knob (5spd) just twists off - it's threaded. The ATX is a PITA (was for me anyway). I ended up shredding the shroud getting the console out of a car for mine. The ebrake handle doesn't need to come off. The boot just slides over it. Pretty sure you have to pull the ebrake about as far as you can to get a good angle to get it out though.
Erick --

Is there a way to unhook the e-brake cable so I don't have to pull it up hard and stretch the cable?

The shift knob (5spd) just twists off - it's threaded. The ATX is a PITA (was for me anyway). I ended up shredding the shroud getting the console out of a car for mine. The ebrake handle doesn't need to come off. The boot just slides over it. Pretty sure you have to pull the ebrake about as far as you can to get a good angle to get it out though.
Erick --

Back