• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

possible new 3L for our Contours?

silver rocket

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, so while i was in technical school, me and another student got the opportunity to go into a Ford hands on competition in Kansas city, Kansas. And the vehicle we studied (had one given to us for the practice by a local Ford dealer) And i was on this thing for 4 hours 5 days a week, and it just clicked into my head that it was a 3L that looks identical with the ones we have been using!

So i was wondering if anyone on here has owned a Mercury Milan?
As far as i can remember it looked like it would be the same kind of swap for our contours.

It of course was a full 3L so we would have the option of that or port matched or hybrid, whatever we wanted.

So i was just wondering if anyone had this idea or heard about it, or even considered it themselves?
If it would work of course, as i have not swapped a 3L, So i don't know alot of the "little" things needed.

Ahh.. Dumb VVT.. Sorry for posting something that has been beaten to death! I knew it had VVT but thought we were smarter than that:laugh:.

It can be done... However has put forth the effort. No one has installed the Fusion/Milan ECM and wiring harness in a Contour. You'd have to run dual ECM's. One to run the interior components, and the other to run the drive train. Lots and lots of studying of wiring schematics to make that happen... of course that assumes a person could get their hands on a wiring schematic that has that kind of detail.

Then of course comes the issue with the length of the engine/trans combo... wont fit in the Contour chassis "as is".

It is still a 3L only it has VVT in the heads so it would fit unless you had to use the timing cover which was too wide. You'd have to use the Contour trans still. The exterior of the VVT heads might be different enough causing all types of problems with the accessories. It would be cool to see someone do it but it would be a lot of work for not so much payoff.

The Montego / Five Hundred, and Sable / Taurus 3.0L did not have VVT. Whether there are other differences that might preclude using this 3.0L, the existence of VVT is not one of them. While the Fusion (and Milan) 3.0L does have VVT and 221 HP (through 2009 MY) the Montego/Sable/500/Taurus used the standard 201 HP non-VVT variant, at least until the current Taurus redesign.

Last edited:
Back