• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

a few 96 Zetec froblems

351crownvic

New CEG'er
A few problems with my 96 contour.
1 well the atx went out on it and has to be replaced.(need to find out what years interchange)

2 Is it comon on these cars for the temp guage to be almost into the red on the guage before the fan turns on. (did replace the sender, conputer temp sensor and new thermostat. just for that reason)

3 ECM is giving a bank 1 lean code. Unshure if it is the sensor or another part.

4 Who caries new rear swaybar links for the car? My local stores dont cary them.

1: any 96+ from a zetec should work but i believe there are a couple different codes so you will have to match your code.

2: which sending unit did you replace? you should replace the one on the underside of the thermostat housing.

3: it could be the O2 sensor or a vacuum leak. check for vacuum leaks first as its free and easy. if there are a lot of miles on the O2 sensor your probably better off replacing it anyways.

4: Bill Jenkins at TeamFord, BATinc.net, Steve at Tously Ford, Rock Auto.

Thanks Striker, I remember replacing the unit on on the top. O2 sensor i belive was replaced by the previous owner, but then it could be faulty. I am a ranger and crownvic guy so where would I locate the trans code??

Yeah its a 91 351 police interceptor the last year carbed for any ford! Have no pics on comp tho. Its no longer stock. Weiland stealth intake, new holley 4bbl with adjust-a-jet, msd 6a ignition,1.7 ford racing roller rockers, factory lincoln mark8 headers into 2.5in mustang h-pipe belching noise and ehxaust through 40 series flowmasters, ditched the 2.73's in favor of 3.55's riding on a new trac-lok rebuilt with extra clutches. Taurus e-fan, with manual thermostat switch, and functioning hood scoop.

Now that car, sad to say is going to have the broken frame drivetrain and swaybars removed and the body put on a 80's-mid 90's 4x4 f150 frame. All the goodies on that motor are being put on a 351 .30 over with polished and mildly ported gt40 heads that had to have the head bolt holes drilled out for use on the 351 ( it also raises the compresion since it was ment for a 302 and has a smaller combustion chamber than the factory 351 head), 210-218 4x4 cam (powerband is just perfect for what i want), high volume oil pump, hardned oil pump driveshaft.

That motor and a healthy AOD with a 1500 rpm converter and a bauman shift kit, and the massive 91 sway bars, are going into a 96 interceptor.

This car i never drove on the road. This cars is mine, it is a exact clone to the one i built and drove untill the orgional motor broke a ring. During transport the car truck and trailer slamed into a guard rail because the trailer tire went flat. That totatled the car. I found this car behind a gas station. A exact match from the motor to the same color, and believe it or not it was even from the same police dept!!!!! Jefferson police dept.

Back