• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

port matched 3l build

n64hacker13

New CEG'er
OK so i have a question idk if someone has done it or if it can be done??

wanting to know if it would be possible to weld the ports up the same shape as the bugzuki plates or have the bugzuki plates welded to the cylinder heads after porting them out of course and here is my 3l engine build so far 8k mile score lol

IMG-20120913-00100_zps8283a90b.jpg.html

IMG-20120913-00099_zpsba1755b3.jpg.html

IMG-20120813-00065_zps26719a84.jpg.html

I don't understand the question at all.

You are doing the opposite of welding - you are porting. You're TAKING AWAY material, where to weld you would be adding it.

Why would you want to weld the plates to the heads?

ok then let me reword that i will be porting out using the plates as a diagram. but im not sold on using them to cover up the old 3l injector ports because iv heard they leak like crazy and i hate the plastic intake manifolds so i would like to know if someone has welded the old 3l injector ports up so they look like the 2.5 head. iv seen jb weld but i don't trust that myself and reason for welding plates to the heads so they wont lead idk just a thought i guess

I see. I myself have not heard stories of the plates leaking unless they were incorrectly installed, or the port job was sloppy. If you port the heads neatly and use some RTV on the plates, as instructed, they seal just fine.

I have indeed heard of JB weld breaking loose and killing engines.

I wouldn't want to weld those thin little plates; they will warp all over the place and THEN you'll have leak issues for sure. Aren't the plates steel, and the heads aluminum? That's just asking for it. I have heard of people welding up the oval-port injector valleys, if you can find someone who can weld aluminum. But for the time, hassle, and expense, the plates just make SO much more sense.

ok well thanks a bunch because iv heard both sides about them being great and them leaking all over the place, so thanks for the info ill use the plates then i just didn't know if someone tried it or anything so i thought id find out before i try and mess my 8k motor up lol, and i do like the idea of welding the injector ports up and yes it is more costly and takes more time but to me it just seems like it would last longer IMO

Those bugzuki plates are made of steel. Your heads are made of aluminum...... see the problem welding the 2 together?

Only way to really get rid of the injector valleys that you aren't using is to have the valley welded full and shape the ports again. Then you don't need the bugzuki plates.

RTV the bugzuki plates to the head and be done with it.

yes i understand that... this is why i asked i didn't know if they were steel or aluminum. and i know you can't weld the two together

Take the time and do it right. When I sealed mine on tight, I carefully went around the outside edge. Going above and beyond to seal them.

Last edited:
ok will do thanks for all the info on it ill post pics of my hole build when i get the engine and trans all ready to drop in the car

My plates leaked almost from the start and had me throwing codes for misfire at idle. I had some paper gaskets made and resealed with RTV. Been fine ever since.

ok that's what i was afraid of thanks for the input ill keep that in mind i got nothing but time on my hands sense i work at home so ill try both ways lol or build 2 csvt's i am looking for one to replace mine if anyone knows anything in the colorado area lol

ok well thanks a bunch because iv heard both sides about them being great and them leaking all over the place, so thanks for the info ill use the plates then i just didn't know if someone tried it or anything so i thought id find out before i try and mess my 8k motor up lol, and i do like the idea of welding the injector ports up and yes it is more costly and takes more time but to me it just seems like it would last longer IMO

I've built tons of 3L motors with those plates. I've never had a leaking problem due to the plates. Clean the head surface with carb cleaner. Liberally apply high temp RTV on each plate, squish them down with some small bolts (fuel rail bolts work), and wipe off the excess that squirts out. Let it dry for about a day before running the motor. You do have to use a stock gasket between the lower intake manifold and the plate. The gasket needs to have the centering tabs broken off so it sits perfectly flat. If you do that you shouldn't have a issue. The RTV holds those plates to the heads very well. It holds so well that you'll have a hard time removing them down the road without bending up the plates.

I've built tons of 3L motors with those plates. I've never had a leaking problem due to the plates. Clean the head surface with carb cleaner. Liberally apply high temp RTV on each plate, squish them down with some small bolts (fuel rail bolts work), and wipe off the excess that squirts out. Let it dry for about a day before running the motor. You do have to use a stock gasket between the lower intake manifold and the plate. The gasket needs to have the centering tabs broken off so it sits perfectly flat. If you do that you shouldn't have a issue. The RTV holds those plates to the heads very well. It holds so well that you'll have a hard time removing them down the road without bending up the plates.

^ exactly. You need to let the RTV set for a day before doing the rest of the intake build. These plates are made well, and any leaks or problems are caused by improper install.

well of course i wouldn't try and run the engine and put the rest of the intake on until it sat for 24 hours and thats what it says on the tube of RTV lol but anyway ill get going on it after i get my bad svt outta the garage lol and thanks everyone for the input it helps a bunch i be sure to keep updating about my builds lol

We weren't saying you wouldn't read the directions, we just know a lot of people don't and they wonder why their ••••s all ••••ed up :cool:. Just take your time and do it right, that's all we're saying ;)

oh i understand what you guys are saying lol, i just find it funny how some people don't and mess everything up lol just like the guy i bought my csvt from he pulled the engine out and just cut a hole bunch of stuff out so i had to redo/replace most of the wiring under the hood for my build lol but the car came with a 8k 02 sable engine untouched and a rebuilt trans so i cant complain really even tho i had to get rid of the car/part it out

ohh. my. bad. i. didn't. know. we. got. graded. for. usage. of. periods. and. proper. grammar. on. this. site...........

It's just easier for everyone to read what you post. Just because it is the internet doesn't mean we have to lose all punctuation/grammar :cool:. Some people's heads explode when they try to read posts with no periods :laugh:.

Back