• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Polybushed Roll Resistors

Mark T

CEG'er
Yesterday I fitted a pair of engine roll resistors to my Mondeo that had been filled with Polyurethane. A mate got them from one of your group buys but didn't get around to fitting them, luckily for me
Now, this would have been a nice simply job but as per normal it turned into an absolute ar5e of a job.

I decided to tackle the rear one first as it looked the easiest, wrong !!! It all started out nice & simple, jack the car up & stick on some stands, support engine with jack, get the right tools etc, loosen off the bolts & thats when it started to go wrong as one of the bolts sheared off

After a quick bit of swearing I looked at it & decided the only way to sort it was the trusty drill as it was solid & not much left to grab hold of.
So I got around to drilling the thing out, then retapped it & hey presto an hour later all ready to fit the new one. Luckily enough the new one went on POP, so I started on the front.
Now this should have been easier than the rear but as my luck was going the bloody head on the centre bolt rounded off.

I took the entire bracket off the car & into the garage to get the big tools onto it you will come out !!! It was stuck solid. I checked with my local Frauds first to make sure they had a new bolt & then out came the hacksaw & I went to work. 20 minutes later the bolt was in 3 bits & the roll resistor was filed in the bin.
After a quick trip to Frauds on the motorbike I returned all ready to fit the new bolt. I now had 20 minutes before I had to pick my son up from nursery so panic stations had set in :eek:.

I quickly fitted it all back in the car & torqued it all back up again quicker than a quick fit fitter (not really saying much i suppose)

Anyway, it's all done now & although I now have a rather harsh ST it picks up like a rocket & the throttle response is amazing :spin:

As normal I was in Haynes manual mode & took some pics along the way. If I hadn't I would have had more time but there you go.

Here you go
Original rear roll resistor on the car
standard.jpg

The offending broken bolt, that caused all the swearing, after being drilled
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The new poly filled one & the old rear roll resistors & the original one was broken so needed to be changed
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

New poly one all fitted
standard.jpg

The remains of the front roll resistor centre bolt after a visit from the hacksaw
standard.jpg

The old & new poly front ones (running out of time so lack of pics now)
standard.jpg

I needed these to calm the swearing after the first bolt broke
standard.jpg

How do you guys that have got these fitted find them then?

That is the most awesome engine bay i have seen on a contour!! Good work keep it up!!!!!

Nice work.

Where can you get these? I tried a search for "poly roll resistor" and this is the only thread that showed up. With the power of the 3L I'm starting to break stuff.

Check out the group buy forum mate

Wierd I was just over in the group buy forum and had somehow completely missed that thread!

Next time you might want to try some PB Blaster to break free rusted bolts like that. Or whatever it is that you have over there across the whale pond. :)

well tell us, does it feel solid?

Does your car still lunge back and fourth lol....

Man, do I wish my UIM was polished. Also, I noticed that your battery cover has cutouts for the terminals, but ebay battery covers don't. Does anyone know what is underneath those to keep it from shorting out?

Pole do they make the car rather harsh on the Contour as well ? Mine now has a fair bit of engine vibrations transfered into the cabin which is worse on tickover really, just wondered how you guys get on with them.

You get used to it really, one thing you can try is setting the car level, loosening the thru-bolts and letting the motor settle(not running) in it's normal resting position, then thighten them down. Sometimes people install them and tighten one thru-bolt before installing the other mount, what can happen here is you pre-load the mounts and they fight eachother cuasing excess vibration.

~Josh

Back