• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PATS eh...

jd2-98s

Veteran CEG'er
Got the car running again.

Kinda a boring story though...

Only had one key for the car and lost it. Early build 98 Mystake, picked up a key switch with keys from the store, however they only sell PATS keys and switch for 2/98 and up. Got the old switch out ... Don't ask, but a little tricky when you don't have a key on hand to turn the switch so you can push the release to pop it out.. Looked at the new one vs the old, the tab to lock it into the column was not the same yet it still locked in.

So then it came down to the keys. Thing about PATs is it does offer a failsafe that can be 10-15mins before the car will start after having the key in the RUN position for that time. The catch is you can't do this with a regular cut key, it has to still be a PATs key, but doesn't have to be a PATs key programmed to the system.

What I ran into was the build date issue, with the PATs early build vs late build key I'm guess they don't transmit the same or something like that. Anyway the car wouldn't do the 15min rapid flashing security light, and it would just turn off after 1 min and no start.

So figured at that time, have to have the keys programmed or no go. Then I run into information that you can program your own keys without a master key or any key at all nor scanner but you need 45mins of your personal time... and it pretty much goes.

This wipes out any other keys that was learned.

new key in switch turn to RUN
watch security light will blink for 15mins then go out
turn key off wait 2 seconds then back for another 15mins of blinking
then do that again so 3 (15min) waits
after the last one turn it off turn it on and it's in the system.

That didn't happen in my case just the 1min flashing. Then I started to think about build dates and keys and then I remember I have a PATs key at home from a 7/97 contour... Took the key to work, pulled the antenna for the PATs away from the key switch, placed the old key from home into the antenna turn the key on with the keys that go to the switch and then watched and got the 15min blinking light. Then after 45mins the car started right up. Pulled the chip out of the key and taped it to the antenna for the PATs system.

Now I'm happy I have a car working again, and didn't have to tow it 20miles to a ford dealer.

since you have the two pats keys you should be able to swap the chips in the key and then be good to go.

I'm also going to guess this is only for the E0 or earlier PATs system?

The new keys are sealed, not like the ford keys where you can pop the cover off. I do plan to order keys that work with the early build 98s and have them cut, then just program them in.

It does work with 98-up contour and mystakes plus a few other makes and models in the ford line 98 and up like the F-150, explorer, sable, etc.

Sorry to bump and old thread, but... If I follow this correctly, all I need to get around the PATS problem I am surely about to have with my junkyard E0 SVT is a PATS key cut to match the ignition tumblers, and a little patience?

If so, that would be awesome!

As long as it's one of the systems that allow this... And the key has to be the one for that build date.

I believe it should be. Build date on it is 5/97. And what do you mean by key for that build date? I was unaware of a difference in the keys for these cars.

Back